View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: LXDE Desktop?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 am 
Hi all
Does anyone else have any interest in installing an LXDE desktop on Linhes 6 (Archlinux)?
It seems like a reasonable idea to have a desktop such as Mythbuntu without having the large overhead of Gnome but it seems from my searches that no-one much is pursuing it.
The Linhes repos do not make it avaialble except for some components and I have seen recommendations to not install stuff from the Archlinux repos for fear of breaking Linhes.
The miminimal install line is formidable:
pacman -Sy ttf-dejavu ttf-liberation ttf-bitstream-vera lxde xorg xorg-video-drivers xorg-input-drivers hal gamin gnome-icon-theme tango-icon-theme openbox

so there is a bit to install but without the Arch repos it is a no-go.

I am interested in comments from anyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:54 am 
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... re+request

cecil wrote:
The march to a "stable" release is on! If you'd like to help out, please download R6 and let us know how it works for you. If there is a bug, please file a bug report. If you think something is missing, please file a feature request. If you are filing a feature request, please provide details:

I'd like to see the following feature/program added to R6:
I think the addition of feature/program would be beneficial because:
Feature/program X can be found at(please provide a link):
Program X has the following dependencies and can be found(please provide a link):

Thanks,

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:29 am 
I would say in general, that the point of KM/LinHES is to build a replacement for a Set-top box; not a full-featured linux box. That's not to say "don't you dare install a full desktop." It's just that making a desktop is not the point of this distro. The fact that KM/LinHES has very modest hardware requirements (at least for SD) means that making a low-end desktop out of it is a short jump that lots of people have made.

I'm wondering how well LXDE would "get of the way" when running mythfrontend. Others will flame me for this, but I can't stand fluxbox. Its every bit as ugly as twm, but less straight-forward to configure. I think it would be nice to have an alternative window manager available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:35 am 
@jmckeown2 - if you don't like FB, open up a flyspray task requesting an alternative one. You never know, james or cesman (or someone else) might just add the packages to the LinHES repo for you. One thing is certain though, if you don't ask for it, there's no chance of getting it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:44 am 
graysky wrote:
@jmckeown2 - if you don't like FB, open up a flyspray task requesting an alternative one.

FluxBox would drive me nuts If I had to use it on my desktop, but that's what's brilliant about KM, I never have to use FluxBox. My Myth is a Set-top box only. (Well, a huge horizontal "multimedia" case under my TV, but you get the point.) I never have to use, look-at, or configure the Window Manager. All my Myth administration is done with the Remote, or from my "Real" desktop via MythWeb or SSH. My desktop runs Ubuntu, so thanks, to X I can even run GUI apps on the front-end within my Ubuntu's GNOME. Plus I honestly have not done the research to choose a WM more appropriate.

FluxBox *IS* an appropriate choice for a set-top box, which is why I have not made a feature request for a change. But, as stated, I believe it's a horrible choice for a day-to-day desktop, which seems to be the context of the thread. The good thing about FB is that it needs very little along the way of resources. Contrast with GNOME, which is a pig. If robsmyth were looking for Myth+GNOME, I would recommend mythbuntu over KM. I *LIKE* keeping KM as an STB, so I like keeping that as the primary requirement in WM selections.

My musing about LXDE is if it is light enough to really serve on a STB, while providing enough features to make it usable as a light-weight desktop. I looked at the LXDE Homepage as well as other sites and it shows promise, but of course the home page does not have a "here are the aspects you'll hate" section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:43 am 
jmckeown2 wrote:
..in general, that the point of KM/LinHES is to build a replacement for a Set-top box; not a full-featured linux box.

I guess the thing with Linux generally is that everyone who does an install brings their own ideas on how it can be applied and combined with various other features to meet a diverse range of goals.

One big advantage with a DE of any type is that file operations can be quicker and maybe a bit easier for those not so familiar with the command line. And LXDE is a brilliant, lightweight version of a DE that works well on low powered hardware. This among other things may help to broaden the appeal of KM/Linhes to new or non-Linux users.

Mythbuntu shows that the desktop "gets out of the way" of Mythtv without any worries.