View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 am 
Has anyone installed either of vncserver or nxserver on Linhes yet?

They do not seem to be available from repositories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:50 am 
Both x11vnc (this is what R5.5 used) and tightvnc (allows for multiple parallel sessions) are available in the extra repo.

Code:
# pacman -Sy x11vnc

There is some minimal setup for x11vnc - create an x11vnc line in your /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps which should look like:

Code:
[startup] {/usr/bin/x11vnc -nap -wait 50 -passwd mythtv -display :0 -forever -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -bg}

Change the word after -passwd to the password you wish to use. Obviously, you'll need to restart X for that to take effect which you can do via $ pkill xinit

I can't remember for sure, but you might have chown /var/log/x11vnc.log to mythtv for it to write the log:

Code:
# chown mythtv:mythtv /var/log/x11vnc.log

:!: Warning - if you're machine isn't behind a router/firewall (i.e. it is directly connected to the internet) and/or you're network is wireless, using either of these VNC programs is very dangerous. See my HOWTO: secure vnc or mythweb via ssh tunnels to make things much more secured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:17 am 
Thanks for the reply and info.
I successfuly installed x11vnc and used realvnc as the client. The screen refresh rate over a wireless connection is slow as expected but is sufficient for checking out the EPG and setting up recordings from a remote PC.

What I did notice was that the client did not prompt for a password but still connected ok so I will be checking out your Howto on implementing with SSH to enhance the security. It does appear though that only one connection is supported and that the x11vnc server terminates once the connection is closed. This helps a little until some more security work can be done.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm 
robsmyth wrote:
What I did notice was that the client did not prompt for a password but still connected ok so I will be checking out your Howto on implementing with SSH to enhance the security. It does appear though that only one connection is supported and that the x11vnc server terminates once the connection is closed. This helps a little until some more security work can be done.
Thanks again.

It should prompt for a password if you're using the line I suggested (the password is "mythtv" by the way). VNC tunneled through ssh won't prompt you for a password when you connect... it will provide an encrypted tunnel for the entire gig though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:04 pm 
can I ask why dont you just use mythweb to set up recordings and look at the program guide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 am 
soundoff wrote:
can I ask why dont you just use mythweb to set up recordings and look at the program guide?

+1 for that suggestion. Mythweb's interface is superior to the GUI IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:23 am 
soundoff wrote:

err.. cos I am a relative newbie to KM and hadn't got around to checking out what Mythweb was all about. So thanks for asking the right question and getting me going in the right direction.
Mythweb is a great interface.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:47 pm 
vnc is still very handy and securing your box is always a good thing.... you can tunnel http over ssl (ie use mythweb) securely for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:15 pm 
I agree that MythWeb is probably easier to use than the actual frontend in terms of scheduling recordings, deleting, transcoding, etc.

However it is still worth setting up vnc for administrative purposes, and to do things you can't do through MythWeb (MythArchive to burn recordings to DVD, for example, or some aspects of the Video Manager).