View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:34 am 
Hi, i have just discovered this beautiful linux distro and i installed it on a old pc to use it as media player.
I have a big usb external hd connected on my main pc and i shared Picture, music and video folders.
The pc with Linhes R6 is linked via ethernet with a router.
I would like LinHES to pik the file shared with the windows xp folder. Is it possible? I'm sorry but i can't speak englis very well, i hope you can understand.
Thank you!

Post subject: Not too difficult
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 am 
If I understand correctly, you want your LinHES machine to connect to and use the Windows shared folders. That shouldn't be a problem.

First step would be mounting the folder. In LinHES R6 this is accomplished with:

Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/foo /mnt/foo -o user=xxx

Obviously you need to replace the IP address with whatever your Windows server IP is (I suppose you also could use the NetBIOS name). Also replace "foo" with the shared directory name, and make sure you have /mnt/foo created as a place to mount the directory. Replace xxx with the appropriate username.

You can also probably user /sbin/mount.cifs to accomplish this, but mount -t cifs worked for me.

Once it's mounted, you'll have access to those files from your LinHES box. Now you need to configure MythTV to use the correct directories. E.g., if you want MythVideo to look on your Windows share for its files, go to the Service Menu, MythTV Configuration, Setup, Media Settings, Video Settings, General Settings, and change the directories to the appropriate ones. You'll have to do this with the other plugins you want to use as well (Photos, Music, etc - I don't use these, but it must be a similar process).

If you want to make sure the folder is mounted automatically at startup, you will need to add a line to your /etc/fstab.

Also, ensure that directory permissions are appropriate, MythVideo for example will probably need write access if you use the scripts to download covers from IMDB or TMDB.

Post subject: Re: Not too difficult
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:44 am 
Thank you! I'm going to try it.
I have another problem: the external hard disk is ntfs. I tried to mount it but when i set the fs to ntfs-3g i get invalid filesystem error.
I installed ntfs-3g but when i type make i get make: command not found so i decided to install make but, using the sh script, when a i do make and make install it gave me only errors.
I hope to avoid all these error using your solution. Is it possible to use, with the shared folder, also the internet connection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:33 am 
If the external hard drive is attached to the Windows computer, and shared using Windows file sharing, then it shouldn't matter if it is FAT or NTFS to Linux. Since you are accessing it across a network, CIFS (formerly SMBFS) should work.

But if you want to plug the external hard drive directly into the Linux computer with a USB cable, then yes, Linux would have to know about NTFS. I was curious about this, so I quickly formatted my USB thumb drive as NTFS and plugged it into my Linux machine (running LinHES R6).

For me, simply doing the following worked:

Code:
# mkdir /mnt/usb
# mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb

You should replace sdd1 with the appropriate device name and partition for your drive, which you can find by using dmesg. I suspect that you simply typed

Code:
# mount /dev/sdx /mnt/foo

which will give an invalid filesystem error; you must specify the partition as well as the device when using mount.

You should not need to install anything extra to be able to read NTFS drives in LinHES. I did not try to get write access working, but it should be possible.

As for using a shared internet connection, that should just be a matter of making sure your router is configured to hand out information through DHCP, then making sure that LinHES is using DHCP. You can set up LinHES to use DHCP by going to Service Menu | LinHES Configuration | Network Settings, and making sure that "Use Static IP Address" is not selected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:08 am 
So good! Thanks!

If i want to add it to fstab i soppose i have to add:
//<ip>/share /mnt/share cifs -o user=user,password=pass

Isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am 
You don't need the -o in /etc/fstab, so just leave that out, and keep the rest:

Code:
//<ip>/share /mnt/share cifs user=user,password=pass