View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:24 pm 
I have a backend running R6 and an Ubuntu frontend.

My whole system was working perfectly until last night. I tried to watch live tv on the frontend, which has worked fine in the past, but for some reason it caused major problems. Suddenly I could not make any new recordings, and I had to delete and readd my tuners, and then do a fresh channel scan. That seemed to fix the problem (I could record shows), but as soon as I tried to watch live tv again, the tuners stopped working again, necessitating another tuner reinstall.

Each time the problem occurs, I get a message in mythtv-setup saying that it can't write to /myth/tv, which is where I store my recordings. But when I do the tuner reinstallation process, the message goes away.

I can think of only one thing that I changed recently--I ran the diskless frontend script on my R6 master box. It created an NFS installation in /myth/nfsroot/DVR. But I haven't had time to actually get it up and running. My frontend still boots with its own drive.

Is it possible that the NFS installation is somehow causing live tv on my frontend to work improperly? Or could it be something totally unrelated?

Last edited by richwine4 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:05 pm 
you may have run out of disk space on your root partition. Check that you have space:
Code:
df
and inodes:
Code:
df -i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:36 pm 
Greg, that's it!

Here's the output:

[root@mythtv /]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 4.6G 2.2G 2.2G 50% /
none 496M 0 496M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda4 450G 287G 164G 64% /myth

[root@mythtv /]# df -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 305824 101060 204764 34% /
none 126739 1 126738 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda4 115200 115200 0 100% /myth

I most certainly do not have 115,200 files on /myth. Is that really what it's supposed to mean? I guess I don't understand the concept of an inode. When you delete a file, the inode can then be reused, right? Perhaps this is a case where deleting old recordings is not freeing up inodes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 pm 
Ok, I think I fixed the problem. Basically, the nfsroot directory that I recently installed on /myth brought my inode usage from 19% to 100%. From reading other threads, I see that /myth is formatted to allow (relatively) fewer inodes in exchange for better handling of large files. The root partition, despite being physically much smaller, actually allows for far more inodes than /myth.

Bottom line: If you are going to create a diskless frontend, don't do it in /myth !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:12 pm 
The default root partition is also a bit squeasy for disk space for an NFS root. I use 2 NFS roots and have them both on / but I reformatted to have a 15 Gig root partition when I upgraded.