View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am 
Edit: Added solutions to the post so if someone has similiar problems they can find answer easily. Funny how Knoppmyth 6 fixed so many problems. Gonna try to get 4. and 9. to work sometime soon, but I don't really care about another ones without answer anymore. Thx for everyone who helped.

Im a total linux noob so I need some help. Pleas explain everything accurately :D.

So far I know how to get into Flubox and I know the right-click menu but cant find anything else.

1. Is there some kind of internet browser on Flubox? If not how can I install one?

Code:
pacman -S firefox

Or for 5.5
Code:
apt-get install iceweasel

2. Is there some kind of file exploler (like windows) on Flubox?

3. Is there a list whats new on Knoppmyth 6?

4. Is acpi wakeup easiest way to get computer boot for recording?

5. How can I use Mythbrowser? It says something like "Select a group or a site to be shown" (sorry for bad translation) but theres nothing to select.

Code:
On Knoppmyth 6 there came a LinHes group and its working fine.

6. I have two hard drives on my computer and Knoppmyth is installed on the smaller one. How can I get mythtv to record on the another hard drive?

Code:
mount /dev/sdb1 /myth/tv

7. Is there a way to seperate normal recordings and "all the time live tv recordings" to a different places? Or is there a place where I could only see the ones that I have recorded?

8. Will mythtv delete my recordings (not live tv recordings) automatically if space is running out or after some timelimit? If so how can I make change it so that it will never delete my recordings?

9. Is there working sleep/suspend/hibernate mode?http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11935&highlight=hibernate If thats working, where can I get the script?

10. How can I open files (text,configs..) on the console?

Code:
nano <filepath>

11. When im starting the computer there comes this selection thing where it asks what do you want to boot (theres linux,cd...) And theres auto opinion for linux that is 10secs. How can I make it to select linux automatically without the time?

Code:
Boots automatically on Knoppmyth 6

12. For me it takes about 70 seconds to boot to mythtv. Any way to speed it up? 70 seconds isnt impossible time for me, but just a little speed up would be nice.

Code:
It's 10 seconds faster on knoppmyth 6!

Thanks.

Last edited by Teemu on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm 
Welcome. When you make a huge post containing 12 questions, some people might not even read or want to tackle all your questions. I'll throw you a bone since you're new...

Best advice I can give to a LinHES newbie: search. If you don't find the answer, search again. If you still don't find the answer search once more. Search these forums, search the kmwiki (http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/), search the official mythtv wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki), and search google. If you can't find what you're looking for, go ahead and post.

1. No, you can install firefox via (# pacman -S firefox)
2. You want a file manager. There must be something in the repo but I dunno what.
3. Dunno
4. I can't remember, look on the wiki (knoppmythwiki.org)
5. Dunno
6. Several ways to do this. Poke around in the settings and you can probably define a recording group to your other drive. You can also mount the drive to /myth/tv
7. Someone else asked about this recently in here I believe. Search on my name; I believe I posted to the same thread.
8. I think you setup an expire policy to do this. I can't remember.
9. Dunno if it's setup for you or not but people are doing this. Search the forums or post a specific question.
10. Use a text editor such as nano (easy) or vi or vim (not so easy).
11. You can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to remove the count down. I recommend NOT removing it though. Maybe change it to 2 sec or something.
12. Don't think so. Upgrade hardware to something faster (processor/motherboard/hdd).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:28 am 
^Thx for answer. I tried searching for some of those, but its hard to find stuff because there are so much alternative words.
graysky wrote:
1. No, you can install firefox via (# pacman -S firefox
I just type that in console? Didnt work.
graysky wrote:
10. Use a text editor such as nano (easy) or vi or vim (not so easy).
How can I open file on nano?

One more question. I have tried searching and searhing but found nothing working for this one. How can I change my keyboard layout on a shell? "Loadkeys fi-latin1" works on console but not on shell.

Last edited by Teemu on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:46 am 
Teemu wrote:
I just type that in console? Didnt work.

If you included the "#", don't. I also think you have to run pacman as root (i.e., type "su" first to get to root, then do the pacman command).

If you did those things and it didn't work, repost with the exact steps you tried and the exact messages you got when you did those steps.

Teemu wrote:
How can I open file on nano?

Type the path name of the file after typing nano, so for instance, to edit your X configuration file you would type "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" . If you're already in the directory of the file you're trying to edit, then you can leave the path out. Depending on what you're editing, and what user you're logged in as, you may have to do it as root to save changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 am 
ceenvee703 wrote:
If you included the "#", don't. I also think you have to run pacman as root (i.e., type "su" first to get to root, then do the pacman command).

If you did those things and it didn't work, repost with the exact steps you tried and the exact messages you got when you did those steps.
The one thing I know already is su :D! Still didnt work. Exact steps:
1. Ctrl+alt+F1
2. Login to mythtv
3. "su" + type passwrod
4. "pacman -S firefox"
5. gives message "bash: pacman: command not found"
6. also tried "pacman", but gives same message

ceenvee703 wrote:
Type the path name of the file after typing nano, so for instance, to edit your X configuration file you would type "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" . If you're already in the directory of the file you're trying to edit, then you can leave the path out. Depending on what you're editing, and what user you're logged in as, you may have to do it as root to save changes.
Got it to open the file, but that menu.lst (question 11) file is empty and theres nothing to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:05 am 
Instead of doing Ctl+Alt+F1 just hit Alt+x right from the MythTV Frontend and that will launch an Xterm Window which should be a little easier to work with and should have all the proper environment and path variables set so that pacman will work.

Or you can use ssh from another PC (perhaps a Windows PC using PuTTY). There is plenty of info on the net for doing this.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 am 
You are using R6 and not R5.5, right?

I just checked my R6 and /boot/grub/menu.lst has stuff in it. That's a lower-case "L" and not a "1", just to be absolutely clear about the file name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 am 
Martian wrote:
Instead of doing Ctl+Alt+F1 just hit Alt+x right from the MythTV Frontend and that will launch an Xterm Window which should be a little easier to work with and should have all the proper environment and path variables set so that pacman will work.

Or you can use ssh from another PC (perhaps a Windows PC using PuTTY). There is plenty of info on the net for doing this.

Martian
Tried with Alth+X too. Without su it gives me nice pacman game and with su it gives the same "command not found". I rather use ctrl+alt+f1 because I dont know how to set keyboard layout on xterm window.

Ceenvee703: Im using R5.5.

Found instructions how to install iceweasel. So I installed it with apt-get, but how can I run it?

Edit: Got it running with simple iceweasel command!!! :D Tried it before with that, but didnt work then. Thx for your help.. weasels just fine for me. If you got any ideas for answers on my other questions feel free to tell me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 pm 
OK, here is a big difference between 5.5 and 6...

6 uses pacman to get and install software, 5.5 uses apt-get.

That's why you couldn't use pacman on your 5.5 install. And could be why your grub settings are different.

Your initial message didn't make it clear that you were using 5.5, hence the confusion. And a lot of the answers to some of your questions are different depending on if you're using 5.5 vs 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:03 pm 
Probably best to use R6 since development on R5.5 is dead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm 
^Okey. Ill upgrade to 6 soon. If I just upgrade I wont loose my files and settings? I made backup just incase something goes wrong.

Btw: I just understood what LinHes means :D. Will knoppmyth name change to LinHes? I asked on the third question that whats new on 6 because I was wondering should I upgrade to it. I'd still liked to know whats new. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 pm 
The big plus with R6 is that it will be easier to get new versions of MythTV, etc., installed and running, than with previous versions (which pretty much required an entirely new ISO release and an upgrade). With R6, you can just upgrade via pacman.

If you use R6's auto-upgrade, you should be able to go from 5.5 to 6 pretty easily, but yes, a full backup is safest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Got 6 installed now and working just fine. I made a clean install afterall, but got it working just fine even though I had some problems :D. Just figured out how to mount another hard drive for recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 am 
One small question. Why does my live tv make two recording files for a short records? Example if I watch about under a minute tv it will make two files for it. Another one is 0.00GB and another one is something like 0.02GB (or more..). If watch few minutes or more, then it will make just one recording. Normal scheduled recordings makes just one file. Not a big problem since I dont watch much live tv recordings, but it is a bit stupid :D.