|too much shrinking of file in the burning process (dvd)
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||knopprob [ Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:03 pm ]|
|Post subject:||too much shrinking of file in the burning process (dvd)|
i noticed something i did not see before:
i had a file a bit over 4 Gb, and just fitting to a single-side DVD writable disc.
that was the info KM supplied as i was doing the procedure starting with 'optical discs' for externally storing a recording.
started the process, the commandline screen (running log) came up.
after some time i saw 'file is 105 Mb too big to fit to a dvd' and that shrinking was needed, and a value for that was given.
note: this sort of info i have seen before on other 'saving to optical disc' procedures of KM, so this is not my 'problem'
after some processing the log gives the output that after shrinking the resulting file is (about) 3,2 Gb, and saying the free space on the disc will be (around) 1 Gb....
after finishing i can verify this: i can see on the disc there is a considerable part of it unused for the burn.
my question: why did KM shrink that much more than was needed to fit the file to the disc.....???
(in other big files processing to dvd's i have observed shrinking before (a nice point of the program), but in all but the actual case the finished burn was a much better fit to the space (4 Gb) the dvd-writable offered)
|Author:||cliffsjunk [ Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:49 am ]|
Was the (tcrequant) ratio that it gave in the log output reasonable? About 1.3 would mean that the calculation of the ratio was wrong (you put extra video files in /myth/tmp). About 1.03 would mean that the calculation of the ratio was right, but the file got truncated before burning.
The most likely thing is that you have some video files in /myth/tmp that are not owned by (the user) mythtv. This means that they cannot be deleted by the pre-burn clean up and mytharchive thinks they will become part of the DVD.
The second most likely thing and the reason I am posting today is that your mplex process may have barfed most of the way through your file leaving you a partial output file. Play the short DVD and see if the ending is there. If you find
Too many frame dropsin /myth/tmp/logs/mythburn.log then this is what happened.
I found a solution to this. Search
Failed while running dvdauthorin the forum to see. I will post this by April 3, 2010
If you have put anything in /myth/tmp I would remove it. If you don't know what I am talking about then you have probably not done anything like this, so don't worry about it.
Failed or aborted burns leave junk behind. That junk should be cleared out by the next burn in most cases. Sometimes stuck processes get left, but that should not cause your particular issue either and the stuck processes go away at next reboot. You could delete everything in /myth/tmp/work and /myth/tmp/logs and reboot and try again.
In R5.5, the code that does the burn is /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/scripts/mythburn.py The line that calculates the ratio looks like:
scalepercentage=totalvideosize/dvdrsizeYou could monkey with that in semi-obvoius ways, to get one burn to go right, but that won't fix the real problem.
I am not around here on a regular basis, but I try to help when I am. It has been months since I came here last.
Please reply to this post if this helped or not.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group