View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Updating ivtv
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:46 pm 
If you have a PVR 250 and things are working you don't need to upgrade. Those that will benefit the most are users of the 350. Download this driver:http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/ivtv/ivtv-031125A-0.12.tar.gz
As root:
cd /usr/local/lib
tar xzvf /path/to/ivtv-031125A-0.12.tar.gz
cd ivtv/driver/
make
make install
cd ../utils
make
reboot

If you are using a 350, these instructions may help you get TV out working:
http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=TvOutHowto

cesman

Last edited by cesman on Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:54 am 
If you are running mythtv 0.13, you can update to this version of ivtv.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ivtv/ivtv-0.1.7.tar.gz?download
Follow the same directions as above.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:53 am 
Yes, I did this a few days ago and so far it's solved some zero length recording problems. :)

Minor correction, the path above should be ivtv/driver without the "s" on the end, and you have to type "make clean" before the first make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:48 pm 
Does this apply to R4V2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:36 pm 
R4V2 already has the newest version of IvyTV. If you wanted to install a different version, follow the same steps.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:30 am 
I have R5A10 with a PVR-250 MCE (CX23416) and Im trying to update the IVTV drivers (because I get a black screen on 'live tv') without success, after I followed the first post exactly, when I try to 'make' or 'make install' or 'make clean', I get "Makefile:10: /lib/modules/2.6.9-chw-4/build/.config: No such file or directory".
Obviously Im new to Linux, it sounds like its missing '.config', I've checked and its not there in that location.
I did SU, Im using the same file as above (i did "wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... .12.tar.gz"
Does it matter where in the directory tree I download that file to and tar it?? will it put all the all the expanded files into the right locations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:06 am 
You normally have to run the configure script first to create .config. Just cd into the directory that the tarball extracted itself into and type
Code:
./configure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:30 am 
After typing ./configure I get 'no such file or directory', so I guess I need to create the .config file like you said, so then, how do I :oops: after scanning the whole system there is no file called configure.
Quote:
run configure script

None of the other IVTV driver tarballs of different versions have .configure either, I suppose its contents is unique to the system, so it has to be made on the system, am I right or wrong?
Im a bit more than a little lost, can somebody please give me a run down of what this file is and how I create it? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:50 am 
most programs have a configure file that you run it scrolls a bunch of stuff by checking for various libraries and create a Makefile that tells the program how it can compile itself.

All that said IVTV does not have this all that is required is make and make install.

The problem you are having is most likely that you have not extracted the kernel sources.

cd /usr/src/
tar -?xvf nameoffile.tar.???

if the file is .gz then the first ? is z
if the file is .bz2 then the first ? is j

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:35 pm 
I've unpacked and built the ivtv-0.3.3u drivers in /usr/src shipping with R5A16. I had to do that because I am using a non-smp kernel recompile (why? it's a long story, but the smp kernel froze--not even a panic, just froze--when the WiFi driver for a PCI-based rt2500 network card (Foxconn) was installed AND answering ICMP pings. Sigh.).

The shipped, precompiled ivtv binaries did not like the new kernel (duh). 0.3.3u compiled and installed fine, but there is a curious glitch. Watching live TV, I can see the first channel the tuner (PVR350) tunes to, say channel 12 for instance (btw, where can I change that configuration item? I forgot where it was set). All is fine. Changing channels, however, shows the info strip with the current show on the new destination channel, but the tuned channel never changes--it keeps showing the current program that 12 broadcasts, even if according to the info strip I am watching 9. Hmmm.

Is this a know problem? Or did I overlook something really basic?

alsq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:53 pm 
Found a hint here:

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=5941.0

Film at 11.

alsq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:42 pm 
Soooo....

If I understand this correctly, it appears that video4linux and ivtv both provide tveeprom.ko and tuner.ko but for some reason it is the video4linux variety that should be actually used. OK, that is sufficient for my limited curiosity. (Ah, am I coming too short of the truth from being lazy?)

If tuner.ko does not load, it is not possible to change channel. In fact, neither tuner.ko nor tveeprom.ko do load after recompilation in my case (sigh). Here is why.

In my non-smp kernel recompile, the video4linux *.ko did get recompiled with some bizarre quirk--since at time of loading the module 'version magic' signature does not match that of the new kernel, but still remains the stock precompiled smp variety. This is perplexing, since .config does include support for the video4linux drivers; after #make clean, there are neither .o nor .ko artifacts, but these artifacts do reappear after either #make, #make all, or #make -B

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this, please?

alsq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:52 pm 
well I haven't read back through the whole thread, but since the title is about ivtv I'm assuming you want a pvr card to work and in that case no you want to move delete etc. the v4l2 tuner and use the ivtv tuner module.

Xsecrets