View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:46 pm 
Hi, I've bought the hardware and installed from the iso but i'm having some problems. Please understand that I have very little knowlege of linux and so I just did automatic install and entered the information required. I have not changed any settings nor installed any drivers myself. If these need to be done, could you please explain how to do them, not just say oh install this driver.

Here is my system
msi k7n2 Delta mobo (onboard sound and lan)
athlon xp 2700 only showing up as 2100 for some reason but I don't mind
wintv pvr 250 model 980
512 megs ddr 3200 ram
Gigabyte geforce fx 5200
Lite on Dvd rom
maxtor 120 gig ide hard drive

After installing I can get to the menu to watch tv or do other stuff and I was actually able to pull up the weather which was amazing, but when I tried to change the location of the weather under settings later I couldn't find Long Beach, CA.... the selection process was strange...it seemed to only have one city per letter or something.

1. I did install with the i6xx thing and checked i have a remote, but my remote is not working. It came with the wintv-pvr 250 model 980. I did plug in the litttle wire with the thing on the end to the port on the card.

2. I cant' watch tv... for some reaon when i just choose watch tv all that shows up is a small moving white line in the bottom right corner and i think once I got the menuish things to come up but they were empty.

3. During the install process i saw it say downloading listings, this might take awhile. Well it only took a few seconds (i do have a 5mbit connection though) is this right? When i went to schedule a show there is nothing in the listings and I can't figgure out how to make it download listings. Is there a manual way to do this?

Thanks again for your time and for the help with choosing which components to use.

I will be busy for the next 22 hours or so, but after that I will have plenty of time to dedicate to getting this working :)

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:29 pm 
JGShinn wrote:
Here is my system
msi k7n2 Delta mobo (onboard sound and lan)
athlon xp 2700 only showing up as 2100 for some reason but I don't mind
wintv pvr 250 model 980
512 megs ddr 3200 ram
Gigabyte geforce fx 5200
Lite on Dvd rom
maxtor 120 gig ide hard drive

Excellent hardware summary! Thank you!
Quote:
After installing I can get to the menu to watch tv or do other stuff and I was actually able to pull up the weather which was amazing, but when I tried to change the location of the weather under settings later I couldn't find Long Beach, CA.... the selection process was strange...it seemed to only have one city per letter or something.

He-he... That had me scratching my head for a couple minutes too... Use the right arrow to drill down into the hierarchy. Once you're down at the lower level you'll be able to scroll that sub list of cities up and down.
Quote:
1. I did install with the i6xx thing and checked i have a remote, but my remote is not working. It came with the wintv-pvr 250 model 980. I did plug in the litttle wire with the thing on the end to the port on the card.

Did you install the lirc stuff? this commnd should show you (everything up to and including the # is the prompt):
Code:
root@black:/home/mythtv # apt-show-versions | grep lirc
liblircclient0/unstable upgradeable from 0.6.6-5 to 0.6.6-12
mythtv-i686-lirc 0.16-1 installed: No available version in archive

Also, double check that you plugged it into the right socket on the card. The stereo sound input is almost the same size.
Quote:
2. I cant' watch tv... for some reaon when i just choose watch tv all that shows up is a small moving white line in the bottom right corner and i think once I got the menuish things to come up but they were empty.

3. During the install process i saw it say downloading listings, this might take awhile. Well it only took a few seconds (i do have a 5mbit connection though) is this right? When i went to schedule a show there is nothing in the listings and I can't figgure out how to make it download listings. Is there a manual way to do this?

It sounds like this failed and that's probably the source of both problems. You did register at zap2it and do the config related to that, right? To rerun this get a shell window (command prompt) and as the mythtv user run mythtv-setup answer "yes" to both questions. Once the setup GUI comes up go through each of the 5 steps very carefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:57 pm 
thanks for your quick response

as for changing the weather location that sounds simple enough i'm sure i'll beable to figgure it out... thanks.

as for installing the remote, i did double check and it is in the right spot, so i'll try running that command... i did figgure out how to get to the command prompt, so hopefully I can get that :)

Okay yea i did get confused when it asked for a username and password for something or other... i just left that blank. So do i have to register for this zap2it separately or is that something i do from my mythtv box. I'll do some searches to try and find out what to do to register for zap2it and the config related to that. So if i understand this right, I have to register, then go to command prompt and run mythtv-setup and go through that carefully (putting in the details of my zap2it registration) right?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait this whole idea just seems so cool!

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:56 pm 
JGShinn wrote:
i'll try running that command... i did figgure out how to get to the command prompt, so hopefully I can get that :)
Excellent. BTW - If you haven't found the Wiki and the FAQ site that Xsecrets started, check here: http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/
JGShinn wrote:
Okay yea i did get confused when it asked for a username and password for something or other... i just left that blank. So do i have to register for this zap2it separately or is that something i do from my mythtv box. I'll do some searches to try and find out what to do to register for zap2it and the config related to that. So if i understand this right, I have to register, then go to command prompt and run mythtv-setup and go through that carefully (putting in the details of my zap2it registration) right?

There are directions for how to do this on the wiki as well. Register first, specify the username and password you've set up as parameters when setting up your "video source".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:01 pm 
OBTW - You should look into the 2100 vs. 2700 issue. This might be due to an old BIOS on the motherboard which can cause you other problems as well.

It also might be due to confusing the AMD rating of 2700+ vs. the real clock speed.

For example my Athlon XP 2500+ is really clocked at ~1.8Ghz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:17 pm 
na the chip says 2700... it's probabaly a bios issue i should get around to fixing it sometime...and I probably will

so i registered on zap2it and did my local channels and stuff and i'm having problems with this...

I can install and getinto the graphical interface fine...but after i restart it won't come up... anyway i've gotta do something else for tomorrow and i'll get back to this tomorrow night.

Thanks for all your help

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:00 pm 
yay more problems... okay here's what's happening/what i'm thinking

I can install from the cd just fine... i put it in and do auto install...and enter the information it asks for and eventually i can get to the graphical interface... but if i restart the machine it will say this: "I cannot start the x server (your graphical interface) It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem?. If i hit yes it gives me a bunch of information... if you need this information to help me fix it lemme know and i'll type it out.

A nyway i'm thinking that maybe i needed to do something when it said Boot: at the very beinning when i put in the cd...is this possible? I just waited for it to get to the auto-install screen and didn't type anything.

I would be really happy if i can get this working by tomorrow. I have setup a zap2it account correctly so once i can get back to the graphical interface i can probably get that working right.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:56 pm 
Have you installed the nVidia drivers?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:28 pm 
nope...is there a link to instructions telling how to do this?

Thanks

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:27 pm 
it's in the install instructions, and it's actually right on the wiki. install-nvidia.sh

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:05 am 
okay i think i've got everything done except one thing

If you have an nForce chipset or any nVidia graphics card, and want to use its TV out capability, you may want to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and add:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

I tried doing edit and then the filename and it said warning unknown mime-type then wanring no edit mailcap rules found or something. Can anyone tell mehow to edit this file?

Ohh and is there a way to reoboot from command line without pushing the reset button?

thanks

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:15 am 
aah i figgured it out on my own :) let's hope it works... i put it under the monitor section i hope that was right. Ok well i'm gonna go plug it into the coax and hope it works :)

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:44 am 
okay i figgured that out the only problem now is i can't get any tv reception...maybe i need to configure my card in the mythtv-setup? I tried following the mythtv instructions but they were rather vague on this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:59 pm 
I think I've spotted part of your problem. You're either not reading things very carefully or not taking the time to really understand them. (No I'm not being nasty, it's way too easy and tempting to rush and gloss over stuff that you don't realy understand.)

For example, here are the specs. on your processor. Read it carefully, if it's not obvious why the chips says 2700 but the OS or BIOS says 2100 go back and read it again until it is. (hint - both are more or less "correct" and 2.17 Ghz == 2170 Mhz)
Quote:
Model: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Core: Thoroughbred
Operating Frequency: 2.17GHz
FSB: 333MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/256K
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM (Processor Only)

This is the type of thing you need to do with the installation directions you'll find here and on the wiki, as well as with the descriptions on the configuration screens. If you run into something that you don't understand DON'T BEREEZE, stop and figure it out. This is NOT a project where you can get by on the Cliff notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:39 pm 
thanks for the reply tjc...i do understand that an xp 2700 chip is approximately 2100mhz but that is not what is happening. My chip is actually being detected as an athlon xp 2100 that is running at 1.73ghz. I do appreciate your advice to not rush through stuff though.

Jon

Go to page 1, 2  Next