View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:58 pm 
hi, i've found some hdtv content and have downloaded it and played it find on my regular pc. The files have extensions of .ts

Could i burn these files to dvd's and play them on my tv via my mythtv box?

Would i need to install a new media player?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Last edited by JGShinn on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:43 pm 
search the forum on compiling the new mplayer with all the codec and then you'll be able to play it fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:27 am 
okay i recompiled mplayer with all the codecs in it and that part works. Now for the easy part. I put a data dvd in the drive containing both files (approx 1.6 gig each .ts files). I then ssh'ed in and used the command
cp /dev/dvd /myth/video

it took along time, spun the dvd and showed hd activity for about the time required to copy 3ish gigs. But now i don't know how to play back the files. I look under /myth/video and all i see is dvd and motion. i try cd into dvd and nothing happens.

I've also tried ftping into the box and the ftp won't connect.

Oh and i know that the permissions for the dvd drive are wrong and i can't play dvd's thru the myth interface... i have to login as root and play via command line. Maybe that is the problem? how would i fix the permissions for that.

edit: okay i used the command chown root:cdrom /dev/scd0 and playing dvd's works now but i still can't find the files to play.

Also having occasional problems with the box freezing and going to the knoppmyth background or when i tred ripping a dvd it froze and said cannot connect to transcoder this is a bad thing or something like that. But this could be a different problem completely. I fixed most of the freezing by telling it not to flag commercials which seemed to cause problems and when it restarted it couldn't connect to backend but that's fixed now.

Thanks,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:17 pm 
okay i seem to have gotten to webmin but how do i enable ftp from there?

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:17 pm 
instead of cp /dev/dvd /myth/video, why not try cp /dev/dvd/*.ts /myth/video ?

I used to have webmin running on my system but no longer do, so can't describe how to start up a service like ftp. But it really shouldn't be required. You should be able to copy the files from the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:26 pm 
Site Admin
I'd greatly appreciate it if all you thread lightly on this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:33 pm 
okay i know i'm kina jumping here... the box isn't currently hooked up to ethernet... tomorrow i'm gonna head over to lowes buy some cat5 and do a professional patch box run to the other side of the house so it'll be perm hooked up.

But I think that cp /dev/dvd/*.ts will work. And I also got the windows file sharing thing to work so transfering files shouldn't be a problem.

Now, the video stream i used is about 1.6 gigs for 20 mins of video. I tried playing with my new version of mplayer and it played...sort of. The audio got way ahead of the video and then it stopped, saying my system was too slow. (got an athlon xp 2700 being dectected as a 2100 due to a crappy mobo bios msi k7n2delta) So i used the -dropframes or whatever praramater and that seemed to keep everything in sync and i couldn't notice a big drop in quality or anything. Oh, also i put the files in the /myth/video folder but when i go to the media thing it doesn't show up... i have to play via command line? where should i be looking?

edit: sorry i'm not sure what you mean by thread lightly (i'm not to up to date with all the forum-talk) but if i haven't done that just lemme know and i'll try to change.

edit2: ah okay i realize maybe you are concerned about this from a legal standpoint. All i have/will mention is that it's about 1.6 gigs and about 20 minutes, nothing more.
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:29 am 
I think the reason your content doesn't show up on Myth's screen is because it was added by copying files to the disk and the database doesn't know about the added programs. I'm not adept enough with the database end (yet) to tell you how to add shows to the database. But I think its the root of your visibility problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:29 am 
actually things copied to the video folder never show up till you go into the video manager from the utilities menu then it will scan that folder and the file will show up.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:12 am 
cecil: I'm assuming that the files that are being copied are on a DVD data disc, as opposed to a DVD-Video (they're high-def for one, and have a ".ts" extender for another), so we're not talking about any DMCA-violating activity. Probably on DVD due to file size.

And yes, you have to go to Video Manager before any files added to /myth/video appear when you go to play them.

Last edited by ceenvee703 on Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:03 am 
okay thanks yea that worked :) this is gonna be great.

yea they're on a dvd-r disk because i needed a way to get them from the computer to the myth box (although i've now discoverd the samba thing).

Is my remote (came with the 250pvr) supposed to work during playing back the video clips, because it doesn't.

Thanks,

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:31 am 
JGShinn wrote:
i needed a way to get them from the computer to the myth box (although i've now discoverd the samba thing).

Just be mindful of the 2G file size limit with the "samba thing." It always catches HDTV people off guard because our file sizes are about 6-8G per one-hour show. NFS shares don't have this limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:56 am 
If you are using mplayer with lirc support built in then the remote should work. it is slightly different than myth though. pause still works and the power button still exits playback, but the right and left of select buttons control volume. you have to use ff rw to control forward and backward. This of course all depends on of you compiled your mplayer with lirc support. The one that comes with Knoppmyth is.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:15 pm 
ah my probem was i was trying to hit the back button to exit...hitting the power button got me back. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:48 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Just be mindful of the 2G file size limit with the "samba thing."

Is this a limit with samba or with certain versions of Windows? I'm not seeing this limit, at least with XP. I still burn my DVDs with an XP machine, and I (for instance) just copied over a 3.8GB recording via Samba, with no apparent problems.

Go to page 1, 2  Next