View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:00 am 
Hi,
First of all, thanks cecil and dale for a great piece of software!! :)

Ok...now to the meat and potatoes!

I was wondering if it is possible to set up myth to look in a users home dir for media files in addition to the shared /myth/whatever directory.

If so, how? would I specify additional the home directory in the myth setup? What do you use as a separator?

I am a little curious because, for example in setup for images it only specifies "Directory that contains images" which is stated in the singular rather than plural. Does this mean that only one directory can be used? If you can specify another directory, how would you do it?

Thanks,
Hish

p.s. I realize this is more of a mythtv rather than knoppmyth question but I couldn't figure out how to join the forum and post messages on the gossamer-threads mythtv forum! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:32 pm 
well as far as I know it only supports one folder, but I could be mistaken on that I know several people ask this question, so the devs may have done something about it by now.

For the official mythtv there are no forums. The site you search is a archive of the mailing list. They only have a mailing list and no forum. There have been numerous battles on the mailing list about not having a forum, but the botom line is the devs don't like them and won't support them. So the only way to ask the devs anything directly would be to join the mailing list, or you could just send it to the mailing list and then watch the archives, but from what I've seen stuff sent to the list from non members usually never makes it onto the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:43 pm 
Create a symlink to the directories you want...
ln -s /path/to/photos /myth/gallery/photos1
ln -s /path/to/picturess /myth/gallery/photos2
ln -s /path/to/videos /myth/video/mpegs

Something like this should work...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Last edited by cesman on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:03 pm 
hmm didn't even think about that cause mythtv does traverse directories doesn't it, so you should be able to put simlinks to multiple directories inside the directories you specify. at least for music and pictures, not sure about video, but that would open up some interesting possibilities with samba mount points. I may have to play with this theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:40 pm 
As an advantage, users could then decide what music will be generally available, and what will be available only to themselves. Setting a file to 400 would mean that even though it is symlinked into the myth/music/someuser folder, from /home/joe/music, only user 'joe' would be able to access it when logged into the front end. user mythtv would not see it. Setting the file attributes to 444, would make it generally available. Setting that attribute is done via chmod, as in

chmod 400 somefilename
chmod 444 someotherfilename

Also whole directories could be put off limits this way. It may take a little research on your part, but once you know how to do it, it's not particularly difficult.

- 200 G Segate Baracuda /myth/tv
- 3 Haupauge! WinTV PVR250s
- 19" Daewoo Monitor (1280x1024 ni)