View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:02 pm 
First, I want to explain what I'm trying to do. I have 4 PVR-350 cards and KnoppMyth installed on a P4-2.8GHz machine, that will be recording 4 audio/video streams simultaneously and displaying them CCTV/security monitor style. As such, I have no interest in using MythTV, since it won't handle displaying 4 streams at the same time, and doesn't seem to like 4 PVR-350 cards, but using KnoppMyth just for the IVTV driver setup is very helpful.

1. I am trying to use the IVTV drivers directly (via cat /dev/video*). but I haven't quite figured out how to set up multiple cards using the ioctl_test program (perhaps the ivtv mailing list would be better for this question). If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

2. I really, really, really want KDE on this machine. From what I understand from reading this forum, installing this will break KnoppMyth's installation of MythTV, but I haven't seen anything directly stating that KDE will break the system. If it's possible to install KDE, how can I do it. Updating sources.list to SID and apt-get installing kde fails due to some X dependency errors.

3. If I can't get KDE, is there any other window manager/desktop environment that can be easily installed?

4. Also, I want to use xine. I've tried to install via apt, and it's not letting me (due to those same X dependencies).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Soap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:12 pm 
hmm I'll let someone else answer about kde. I have installed xine just a little while back and had no problems with dependancies, but I did not change my sources.list file at all either.

As for using test_ioctl to set up multiple cards run it with the --help switch it will give you all the options. basically to change the settings on the second card you are going to have to specify the dev usually second card is /dev/video1 third /dev/video2 etc. There is a switch for this, but I cannot remember what it is off the top of my head. I had to use it cause my pvr250 is at /dev/video1 because my bttv card is at /dev/video0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:19 pm 
1. "-d, --device=<dev> Use device <dev> instead of /dev/video0"
2. Installing KDE can break the system.
3. I don't know...
4. Use the source...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:27 pm 
Hi ,

Did you run "apt-get update"? Then "apt-get install xine"? it should include any other dependencies for installation (you will see them when it asks you to continue)

Jason

HealthyPals (http://www.healthypals.com)
Bookcrossing (http://www.bookcrossing.com)
WebBlog http://www.livejournal.com/users/jfroebe