View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Netflix - Watch Now
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:51 pm 
Netflix has unveiled it's movie download section. I haven't been 'turned on' to this yet personally, as only 250k subscribers a week will be allowed to DL. I guess sometime between next week and June I'll be allowed to view 'B movies' from my WinBox...

I was interested in the file format and other info about the DLs though. I mean I hope I wouldn't be locked into windows to be able to use this service that I am paying for already. Sure I guess I could mess around with a duel boot setup, but come on!

Any other thoughts from Netflix people? Anyone have access to the 'Watch Now' section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:27 pm 
From what I read, it's windows only, requires a downloaded program to run, and the content is streamed, not stored. Not very appealing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:58 am 
thornsoft wrote:
From what I read, it's windows only, requires a downloaded program to run, and the content is streamed, not stored. Not very appealing to me.

That seems to be correct. Last time I logged in to my account, there was a link on the right side of the screen that said something like "Would you like to watch movies instantly?" Clicking on it revealed that it requires Win XP SP2, and it is just streaming, not DL. My assumption is that it might be some sort of ActiveX plugin for IE. I would definitely be interested if they opened this up for more platforms though. hackingnetflix.com has intructions on how to possibly unlock this - it's still in a lottery right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:23 pm 
Quote:
I was interested in the file format and other info about the DLs though. I mean I hope I wouldn't be locked into windows to be able to use this service that I am paying for already. Sure I guess I could mess around with a duel boot setup, but come on!

Contact Netfilx and tell them you want to be able to play their content on Linux and MythTV. Squeaky wheel get the grease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:16 am 
Well, I got access to "Watch Now" about 5 days ago, but I have yet to be able to watch anything with it. As soon as I saw that I was granted access, I booted over into Win XP to try it out. I have IE 7 and Windows Media Player 11. But I can't watch anything. The plugin starts up, and the movie begins to load, but then Netflix gives me an error message that I need to update my DRM files, so I click upgrade, but that fails. Netflix links me to MS's website to upgrade the file, but that fails as well. Google has been no help to me, either. Does anyone have it available to them yet, and is it working? I've been sitting on a copy of Vista for a few days now, I may just install it sooner rather than later and see if I still have any problems. I'm just a little nervous because I've read that it's not as simple to set up dual boot w/ Vista and Linux as it was with previous versions of Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:12 am 
I was just wondering if anyone got Watch Now working on KM. I was looking today and noticed that they have Hero's and The Office available along with more recent movies too. Hero's they have new episodes the next day! so this might be an area of interest for many.

Would the inclusion of Wine in R5F27 make this doable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:23 pm 
Can it run under wine? I assume that it needs the latest IE version, but I am not sure how well that runs under wine.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Would the inclusion of Wine in R5F27 make this doable?
That all depends on what is needed to "Watch Now". I haven't a NetFlix account to test with... So, someone else needs to be the tip of the spear.