View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:59 pm 
After struggling for way too long getting Knoppmyth R5E50 installed, I'm ready to throw in the towel and pay someone to do it. Fee $200 CDN for a fully working setup. cash or PayPal (preferred) on completion. I'm located in Markham, Ontario, Canada.

The system is a 1.8G Dell Dimension 8200, 512M, 80GB HD, PVR-350, and FX5200, Soundblaster live, ethernet. Basic cable connection. Front and backend on same machine.

Fully functioning means: TV works, recording works, the remote works, sound works, web and games work.

You get it working like that, you get $200. If not, less fee or no fee depending on how much you managed to get working.

At this point, myth is installed but the screen goes blank when watching tv, nothing happens with the remote and there is no sound. Internet access is working, program listing is displayed.

Power off gives random garbage on the screen. I'd like that working too but it's not critical.

You can contact me at kents AT snak DOT com to arrange the time. Anytime during the week or weekend will be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:31 pm 
HI,
R5E50, save your $$ for the kids, down load and install R5C7, should almost work out of the box. There may be one issue with the xserver not finding the FX5200 card if there is an i810 onboard video in the Dell. If so, simply remove the FX card before install and should be good to go. The system is quite stable and only had one small "bug" to tweak out for long term running. (was not discovered for a few months)

Check the wiki first as there are constantly new updates and there may even be a simple quick fix for the E50 already.
R5D1 & R5E50 require extra care and feeding to obtain tv out of the 350. There are some notes on the wiki that may help however you sound as if you are a new comer so based on that, is why I suggest the R5C7. You can always upgrade in the future.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:02 pm 
mjl wrote:
HI,
R5E50, save your $$ for the kids, down load and install R5C7, should almost work out of the box. There may be one issue with the xserver not finding the FX5200 card if there is an i810 onboard video in the Dell. If so, simply remove the FX card before install and should be good to go. The system is quite stable and only had one small "bug" to tweak out for long term running. (was not discovered for a few months)

Check the wiki first as there are constantly new updates and there may even be a simple quick fix for the E50 already.
R5D1 & R5E50 require extra care and feeding to obtain tv out of the 350. There are some notes on the wiki that may help however you sound as if you are a new comer so based on that, is why I suggest the R5C7. You can always upgrade in the future.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions. I use the TV out on the FX5200 and that seems to work fine. There is no on board video on the Dell.

I looked through the changelog, and have decided to stay with the latest version as the goal. The system is entirely plain vanilla and it has to be possible to get the latest version working.

The offer of $200 still stands for anyone in the neighborhood of Markham, ON (25 miles or so north of Toronto) to get it working for me.

I will be watching, taking notes and learning during the setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:48 pm 
Hi,

That's cool. While you are waiting for a taker, have you checked the wiki? There are many good pointers there that may be of help. tjc has a couple of stickies here in the forum that has lots of pointers for the R5E50.

Assuming you have gone through all the setup screens (twice at least) and carefully check all the options?

Give the folks here on the forum some details and maybe you can still save the $$ for the kids :)

Auto install?
What works..
Play music?
View images?
Play any type of video?
Myth weather?
Netstreaming give you anything?
Able to obtain the guide listings?
MythWeb work?
or maybe even better, what doesn't work and what do you see?

Also a rough idea of your linux skills, (beginner, somewhat, almost a guru)?

Have you done any tweaking or attempted to tweak anything yet?

There seems to be a pretty high success rate for getting folks started so, while you wait...

Mike