View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: XBox Mods
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 pm 
I have an old XBox at home and I would like to get it connected to my KnoppMyth box. I have read about both Soft and Hard mods for the XBox but I don't know which is the best way to go.

Could I gauge some opinions about what people are using themselves in there setups.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:46 pm 
I have two xboxes, and they are both softmodded. In my eyes the obvious benefit is the cost. I did not have to purchase any hardware (modchip) in order to get them up and running. I did pay a small fee (20 bucks) to have them done, but that's a small cost, and could easily be eliminated if someone did their own mod, or knew someone that could/would mod for them for free.

There are of course some benefits to putting in an actual chip. I believe some chips can be "turned off" so that you can still use the xbox on xbox live and play against other players. As well, you can get fancy and have front mounted LCDs in place, as well as the ability to turn on the xbox from a remote control rather than having to walk up and push the button (I just leave mine running 24/7).

As far as use with MythTV playback, I don't think there would be any difference at all XBMC will run the same on both a softmodded or a hardmodded box. Another benefit that just came to me is that a softmod can be 'undone' if the proper files are backed up during the modding process. You could then in theory restore the xbox to it's original config (for warranty purposes or whatever). Not that your box has any warranty left on it..... but in theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:17 pm 
I have three XBoxes, all softmodded. They are a little sluggish to remote button presses but otherwise work very well for viewing SD content.

Check out these threads for more info:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=546777

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Xebian_HOWTO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:15 pm 
I wonder if the improvements that have been made in the mythfrontend's memory usage will improve the sluggishness.

Post subject: Re: XBox Mods
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:05 pm 
If I may be so bold...Girkers and add my two cents:

Girkers wrote:
I have an old XBox at home and I would like to get it connected to my KnoppMyth box. I have read about both Soft and Hard mods for the XBox but I don't know which is the best way to go.

Could I gauge some opinions about what people are using themselves in there setups.

Thanks

I have two Xboxes and they run Xbox Media Center (just google it).

I have added a customized version of a short python script called 'XBMCMythTV' (available on the net) and connect to the master backend via its internal Samba setup (setting up Samba is in the Knoppmyth Wiki).

For me, my install requires that my family have access to the backend to:

1) Watch recording with commercial skipping;
2) Schedule recordings

The remaining media stuff like MP3s, videos, etc. is MUCH better handled by the Xbox directly. Since XBMC is written for the Xbox, it is much more adept at media playing.

I would recommend this as a solution. The modchips are relatively cheap and breathe new life into the box as both a media appliance and gaming hardware (check out Xlink Kai).

I have run Xebian, XboxDamnSmall Linux, Gentoox and many other flavours as softmods and flashing Cromwell BIOS to the TSOP chip in the box and run the Xbox Frontend Myth thing. They are all compromises, even though each one is really good at linux on the Xbox. However, when the graphics are framebuffer (vesafb).

XBMC is much better at media than any of the Linux flavours out there.

Squiffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 am 
Not to counter or disagree with Squiffy, but more as a point of clarification. You can run XBMC (Xbox Media Center) on a box that isn't chipped. Both of my boxes are softmods with XBMC running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 pm 
Quick summary -

Soft Mod - When you run a copy of certain badly written games there are places where you can interupt the game (usually at the save/retrieve game position menu) and run some code to (temporarily) gain complete control of the xbox hardware. While you have temporary control you copy new code from a DVD to the xbox's flash memory chip (wrongly called a TSOP - Thin, Small Outline Package, which is a description of its shape!) to allow running code that is not 'signed' with Micro$oft's special hash. This is a 'permanent' change, which will be detected by Micro$oft if you attempt to use xbox live.
You need -
a stock xbox
a compromised game disk
a game save memory card (with the exploit code on it)
a DVD burned with TSOP writing programs and new TSOP code, plus new versions of xbox operating system programs that ignore Micro$oft's special hash

Hard Mod - You install a new flash memory chip in place of the TSOP. Most installations leave the existing chip in place while running several wires to various points from the main circuit board to the new chip on its own, separate, small circuit board. Code may be pre-installed in the chip, or written to it from a DVD. New versions of xbox operating system programs that ignore Micro$oft's special hash also need to be written to the hard disk.
Many Hard Mods lie hidden when the normal power switch is used, allowing use as an 'un-modded' xbox.
You need -
a stock xbox
a Hard Mod Chip
a set of special screwdriver bits to open the xbox
soldering skills (or one of the new clamp-into-place chip holders)
a DVD burned with flash memory writing programs and new flash memory code, plus new versions of xbox operating system programs that ignore Micro$oft's special hash

So which is best?
The materials for the Soft Mod cost a bit, but can be used over and over again.
The Hard Mod is reasonably cheap, and most allow switching between the orignal code and the modded.
The answer is both are fine, but the Hard Mod allows access to xbox live when it is not in use (if you think that is an advantage).

bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:01 pm 
Bruce, thanks for your input, I am glad I am worthy of you first post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:00 am 
One clarification: a softmod alone does not and cannot write to the TSOP chip. Writing to the TSOP requires some hardware modification:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/TSOP_flashing_HOWTO