View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 am 
Dunno if this is old news for some, but I did a search & didn't find anything-

I don't usually fool around with Windoze, but I recently bought a couple of Sony Vaio laptops (Vista) for my wife & daughter. (They like Windoze...)
So while fooling around setting them up, I discovered a couple things.

One is that in Vista, when you go into 'network' and turn on network discovery and file sharing, your Mythboxes show up on the network as 'mythtv: Myth Tv AV Server ' (Same description for each mythbox; I have 3 on my home network.)

Two is that running the program 'VAIO media' Will find each of your servers and display them. There is a 'registration' step (button push) to identify the server to the program. I t runs 5 minutes and reports no success, but it still is able to identify the files on the Mythbox (video, music, pictures), and will play the video. (Haven't explored pictures & music yet)

A caveat is that it seems unable to play HD (tries & quits, although it displays the files) Probably not enough wireless bandwidth, or the VAIO program is only intended for SD video.

My 'old workhorse' SD video machine (1.8 ghz P4) plays perfectly on the Vaio.

My Satbox SD box plays the video soundtrack with occasional changing video stills. I make this to be inadequate horsepower (933 P3) to push video over wireless.)

Sony literature only describes 'VAIO' servers for this program, no mention of being compatible with Myth.
Anyone else have any experience with Mythboxes & Sony VAIO laptops ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:32 pm 
Did you turn on sharing or anything like that on the Myth boxes, or are they a standard install? R5F27, I assume? My wife has a vaio with Win XP. I'll take a look for the 'vaio media' program.
Ziggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:21 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
Did you turn on sharing or anything like that on the Myth boxes, or are they a standard install?

Standard install F27, in service for some time routinely, whatever sharing is default, I didn't set anything on the Mythboxes

Quote:
R5F27, I assume? My wife has a vaio with Win XP. I'll take a look for the 'vaio media' program.
Ziggy

Cool ! The computers I have are new ones with Vista & Media Center.. Not sure what the deal is with XP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
UPnP