View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Bone Marrow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Admin
About twelve years ago due to a Marine's child need, I registered in the National Marrow Donor Program. At the time, I used my parent's contact information as I knew that wouldn't change. Well about 10 days ago, my Mom called stating that a woman was attempting to contact me about a bone marrow program. I got the woman's phone number and called her back. She told me, I'm a 30% match to someone and ask if I was still interested in the program.

Today, I gave blood that will be tested to see if I can donor to the person in need. It will take four to thirteen weeks to get the results. (Seems kinda of a long wait, but what do I know...) If I can, I'll fly to Washington, D.C. twice and donate. I'm thrilled at the prospect of being able to help someone in this manner.

Last evening, I told Dale that I'd name Release 5.5 Bone Marrow. He stated if that was because it took a lot of of me? I hadn't thought about it in that aspect but I guess he is right. Producing Release 5.5 has been a trial. But, that isn't why I decided to name it Bone Marrow and I went on to tell him the above tail.

I'm naming Release 5.5 Bone Marrow because I think it is very important. I may or may not be the best match for this person in need at the moment. But perhaps someone that is reading this is, if not for that person perhaps for someone else. So, I'd encourage you to become a member of the National Marrow Donor Program.

Thanks for reading and for understanding why Release 5.5 has taken so long.

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 pm 
Site Admin
Thanks cecil (and all the testers) for all the hard work that went into R5.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:17 pm 
Cecil, you really are the gift that just keeps on giving. I hope things work out for you and the recipient and I also hope that you will be able to name R6 Piece of Cake :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:34 pm 
Or better yet... R6 Total Remission

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:35 pm 
Kudos on all the work everyone is doing.

Just goes to show what kind of caring people we have as members of this community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 am 
Many thanks to all, from me, my wife, and my kids who are (indirectly) very greatful for all your hard work, dedecation, persistance etc.

Can't wait to install this .iso..!

knoppmyth facebook group
mythtv facebook group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:43 am 
Awesome Guys !!! Thank You !!!..... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 am 
Cecil:
I've always appreciated the hard work that you folks do in putting Knoppmyth together. But as a childhood leukemia survivor (now a father!), I heartily commend you and everyone else who has the courage to register to donate marrow. And if the NMDP isn't for some of you, I implore you not to forget about giving blood and becoming an organ donor. That is what community is really all about.

I look forward to installing R5.5 !!!

Post subject: people like you..
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 pm 
My daughter (10) is a cancer survivor (at 2) so I can certainly say to you and to anyone who does something like this that its people like you who are the heroes in our society.

To offer something like that, to a stranger, is simply amazing. There should be more people like you.

If they use you, please do let us know how the patient does (I imagine they would keep you informed?).

"miracles" do happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:36 am 
Cecil,

Wow. You have my utmost appreciation and respect. I hope things work out.

Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:04 pm 
Wow, this may be the first time the codename of a software release has made me a little misty-eyed. Today I got around to doing the auto-upgrade. And there was nary a problem (the upgrade to R5F27 was more complicated for me because I'd fallen a few releases behind when I was caught by the zap2it labs shutdown). I was so pleased that I couldn't stop myself from clicking on the mysettopbox.tv Donation link :wink: . Best wishes.

Post subject: Becoming a donor is easy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:19 pm 
It's easy to become a donor, all it takes is a simple blood test to get you registered. After that you're info sits in a database somewhere. Whenever someone needs a donor, their sample is screened against all the people in the database. The closer a match you are, the better the chance of success.

It takes about 5 minutes time.

My wife and I have been on the list for about 9 years now as well.

You can learn more at:
http://www.marrow.org/

Even if you move around a lot, the donor program can find you when you file a post office forwarding address notice. So it really takes very little effort on your part and you can save someone's life. The more people who register, the better a match that can be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Well, I got a letter today. I am a match for the person that needs bone marrow. However, "the person isn't ready yet"... So at some point in the future, I maybe contacted to donor to that person. Hopefully, when the time comes, I'll still be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:10 pm 
Hi Cecil,

Thanks for sharing and best wishes for you both!

Mike