View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 pm 
At the request of Too Many Secrets I am starting a new thread for Boxee. It looks like it may be the next stage of XBMC (which I have very little experience with, outside of an old xbox build). I have tried compiling Boxee (which is still in the invite only alpha phase) from source on my desktop, which is running Debian Etch 64-bit, but have been unsuccessful so far. I have also tried installing it from their repository for Ubuntu via Virtualbox on the same machine and while it installed I couldn't get much out of it due to the lack of graphics acceleration.

I don't believe it has any capability to record or watch live TV, but it does show Hulu, CBS, and several other online sources for streaming video and also claims to be developing something for watching instant online netflix movies. It is officially supported in several versions of Ubuntu & Mac at the moment, but as I mentioned, source code is available as well.

I only discovered it yesterday, so I don't have a whole lot else to say, but I can send out unlimited invites if anyone is interested in checking it out, I would just need your e-mail address to send it to. I am not sure if it is feasible to even integrate it into knoppmyth or mythtv, but it is certainly worth raising the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:29 pm 
Thanks Knappster for your input. I've only browsed thru the boxee forum and see that they are very ambitious in their goals. And they seem to be having some success.

If boxee could deliver half the online content it promises, it would be HUGE to somehow integrate into myth. Just using the boxee frontend to view HULU/netflix content would be a tremendous addition to KM.

If/when anyone has/gets this running with km, please pass info along.

Knappster I'll PM you my email address for an invite. I don't know when I'll have time to play around, but I will try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:15 pm 
Hi,

knappster wrote:
I don't believe it has any capability to record or watch live TV, but it does show Hulu, CBS, and several other online sources for streaming video and also claims to be developing something for watching instant online netflix movies. It is officially supported in several versions of Ubuntu & Mac at the moment, but as I mentioned, source code is available as well.

As for XBMC, the UPNP Knoppmyth server is automatically seen by Boxee. You can then browse Vidéo, Recordings and LiveTV as well. Boxee and XBMC share the same core. Windows version of Boxee is on the way soon.

For the Hulu contents, you must have an IP adress from the USA otherwise it's not working.

Bye
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
Thanks for the input Bob. What OS have you run Boxee on? I have been unable to get it to compile from source on my debian etch amd 64-bit desktop computer. I would find it useful on a KM combine FE/BE, but I think I will test it out on a separate frontend running Ubuntu, which they do support. It would be great to have TV shows available in HD via KM and other content online via boxee. I am still running R5F27, though and I don't know if boxee will play with mythtv .20 or .21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 pm 
i just watched a couple screencasts of boxee and i'm very impressed. it has a very, very cool UI. i've tried to keep up with the development of Mythtv .22's UI and so far the screenshots they've released have been underwhelming. i hate to crap on myth and myth developers because it's such a super awesome program, but if feels so behind in many ways. boxee's look and access to web content is pretty neat.

since mythtv and boxee seem to have different focuses, i wonder if the boxee people would be willing to write up an interface for mythtv to take care of all of the menu stuff. maybe they could just use the .xml menu files that myth uses. it would be awesome to have myth do all the backend stuff (recording, database, scheduling) and boxee act as a frontend and access to web content.

i'd love to see the best of both together as one integrated product.

knappster could you send me an invite? i'll PM my email address. i signed up on the boxee site, but just got put on the alpha waiting list. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm 
hmm... did a little more looking and found that a mythtv frontend plugin might be coming to boxee. actually, they're looking to make it a universal frontend for all sorts of pvr solutions. looks like the xbmc (which is what boxee used to be called when it was only on xbox, right?) guys have even got something that's functional up and working. i'll keep my eye on it.

oops... right on this here board, too: Boxee Plugin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:55 pm 
I installed on my ubuntu 7.1x laptop, but I'm afraid it doesn't have the power to run anything. I can login and get some media thumbnails, but nothing will play and it's slow as a dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:27 am 
I like Boxee, it installs easily in ubuntu. I was able to get it to install on R5.5, but I pretty much hosed my dependencies and knoppmyth install (on purpose, all for the sake of testing..). I got it to work, but at the time Hulu and a couple others weren't working because of a flash issue, which I believe is fixed now.
You can't use the LIRC remote (as far as I know-mine is the hauuppauge), so in my opinion it is just as easy to open the hulu (or others) website thru firefox and watch the content that way.
The XBMC frontend is nice, but would need a ton of work to get it to do what myth frontend does.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 am 
I still haven't really gotten anywhere with it yet. I was thinking more along the lines of it supplementing the myth frontend than replacing it. There would be a lot of redundancy, though.

The main attraction for me would just be the online content from boxee. Now that I am on the HD bandwagon I want to be able to get more HD content at no additional charge, lol.

That and keep waf high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:15 pm 
Hi Knappster,

I'm using Boxee on my AppleTV.

The redundancy your talking is omnipresent in these products on my setup (It's not totally wife proof for the moment). On my AppleTV i have a MythFrontend, Boxee and XBMC that can access the content of my Knoppmyth Server.

The migration from standard TV to online TV is really serious and will accelerate in the next month and year. The HD air broadcast will give standard TV somes times before online TV reach this quality but not so much i think. Time will tell...

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:38 pm 
It's interesting how many people would prefer to use their cable Internet over Cable TV in order to watch their television....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:17 pm 
knappster wrote:
It's interesting how many people would prefer to use their cable Internet over Cable TV in order to watch their television....

it's all about on-demand and alternative programming. cable tv just can't cut it for me. $50-120/month and i'm only interested in maybe 3% of what's on cable tv. i'd almost rather pay for each series ala carte. i don't know.

those of you who use boxee with myth, can you control any of myth's tv functions with boxee or only view recordings?

i'm going to do a full re-install of 5.5 in a week or so and mess with boxee then. in the middle of grad school finals week right now.