View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 am 
For more than a month now The Simpsons reruns on my local Fox Station have been broadcasting with messed up audio. I know it's not my tuner or the channel because other programs, including some on Fox, record just fine.

Just tonight I finally got around to playing a show in VLC and changing the audio channels. By cycling through Stereo, Left and Right it's obvious that the Right channel is lower than the left and oscillates up and down, creating a very annoying sound throughout. Now that I've identified the problem, is there any way to listen to the left channel only when I'm watching this particular program or any other that has the same audio trouble?

In case you want to experience first-hand what I'm hearing, check out this clip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:33 pm 
Wow dude, that is pretty annoying. I don't know how you can easily disable the left or right audio in the mpg, but you can use alsaconf to manually mute your left/right channel, then replace it when you're finished.

What does the simpsons sound like if you watch it on the TV wo/ capturing it? If it's normal, I don't see how your problem isn't somehow hardware related. If you watch it (without mythtv at all) and the audio is normal, what happens if you manually start recording while the simpsons happens to be playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:03 pm 
Yeah I'm fairly certain it's just those shows because I've watched other programs on Fox and other channels with no problems at all. You can see that their copy is poor quality by the black bar at the top and the sound. I've watched it live and heard the trouble but so far haven't run to my non-Myth TV to check it out for certain. Anyway I guess I'll have to turn on individual muting and then map a key/button to mute the right side...either that or maybe I'll put my receiver on mono when watching The Simpsons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm 
Have you tried calling the station? Maybe they're not aware of any problem. OTOH, maybe they do know and are working on it. Either way, you get a piece of mind knowing you alerted them to the problem or now know they're working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 am 
There is an option in the setup somewhere to change mute to toggle between stereo->a->b->mute.

I used that for when there is a show in in dual language.

Cheers,

Allen