View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: 64 bit computing?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:07 am 
I have an athlon x2 4800+

I'll ask this hear cause many people who know lots about computers exist on this forum...

im aware of the advantages of 64 bit when using greater than 3 or 4 gig of ram, but are there any performance advantages to using 64 bit OS when the computer has only 3 gig of ram.

Looking at wikipedia, the only thing that is generally discussed is the increased availability of ram.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 64 bit computing?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 pm 
stevetv wrote:
are there any performance advantages to using 64 bit OS when the computer has only 3 gig of ram.

The ram is the main advantage (actually I believe it's 3.6GB that is recognised with a 32 bit OS), but the computer should also have slightly better throughput (the chunks of data that go to the CPU are bigger).

If you want to investigate this, I suggest you download the LinHES kernel source. Load up Cecil's config file and simply change the target CPU to X64. I'm very tempted to do the latter myself, actually, and test various differences without increasing the memory (i.e. I'd only be testing the difference the kernel makes). Hmmm...

UPDATE: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66660 says it will work!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm 
Someone on the mythtv-users mailing list claimed that commercial flagging was literally twice as fast when changing from 32bit to 64bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 am 
thanks guys for the reply. i installed ubuntu using both the 64 bit and 32 bit systems... and i did notice a big different. the 64 bit os just seemed to respond faster.

anyone have a link discussing this where i can do some reading just for my interest... (lots of downtime at work atm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:29 pm 
stevetv wrote:
thanks guys for the reply. i installed ubuntu using both the 64 bit and 32 bit systems... and i did notice a big different. the 64 bit os just seemed to respond faster.

anyone have a link discussing this where i can do some reading just for my interest... (lots of downtime at work atm)

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Good to know there is a difference.WRT the discussions, just Google it. There is a lot of info out there, and I've found most general Linux discussion is on Ubuntu forums, and myth specific on mythtv, KM and mythbuntu.

Mike