View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 pm 
It depends.

In some countries, the person calling the mobile pays extra, and that will be reflected in your Skype per minute charges. In others (i.e. the US) the person receiving the call pays extra for the mobile phone (as compared to landline). Usually, people in the US have a monthly contract that allows a large number of minute per month, so charges only accrue if they go over that amount.

Skype-to-Skype is the most efficient of all -- it costs nothing to either party.

I'd say don't worry about it. If someone doesn't want to hear from you, they'll tell you in some subtle way, like hanging up at the sound of your voice!

:P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 pm 
corneli wrote:
What will others be charged when i call them from skype from my computer to their mobile?

Other people get charged for receiving a call that you make? That's the first I've ever heard of it, or am I mis-reading your question?

If not, charging other people for calls you make is insane: It would mean you could harass people *and* cost them money without them being able to do anything about it (which is why the operator has to ask if you will accept reverse charge calls). All charges would always be paid by the person making the call.

Using the same reasoning, when they call your Skype number what they are charged would totally depend on what their telecommunication provider charges. My mobile provider allows up to $200 of overseas calls per month (just part of the package - only used it once), so I'd talk to my friends before leaving and come up with a plan so everyone knows what to expect.

Mike

EDIT: liv2cod's reply is very sensible: Skype to Skype calls are free, so getting your friends to subscribe is a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 pm 
manicmike wrote:
Other people get charged for receiving a call that you make? That's the first I've ever heard of it, or am I mis-reading your question?

Hee hee, you guys from down under crack me up. Yep, American cellular is weird -- only the subscriber pays. We pay for the phone, and we pay for every damn call we make or receive. Aren't we a funny people?? Luckily, we usually sign up for these plans that give us XXX minutes per month of cell calls before we have to pay extra per call.

See what you're missing down there?!? As an added benefit, our Christmases come with SNOW!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
As an added benefit, our Christmases come with SNOW!

I was brought up in the U.K. where telephone calls are charged by the minute (it was still like that in 1997, not sure about now). As a result, people rarely used the 'phone, which is why the U.K. was so very behind with the Internet (charged twice for every connection).
In Australia, all local calls have always been untimed (what luxury), so at least we got relatively cheap dialup in the '90s.

The mobile (cell) phone plan still sounds crazy, since you have no say over who calls you. Guess everyone has different rules for games like this, and the non-U.S. contingent just learned something. Do you get charged for receiving land line calls? I can't see why not, since companies would justify it by saying it is a network usage charge.

Incidentally, it doesn't snow very often at Christmas in the northern hemisphere - I remember one white Christmas (1976 or 1977) because it was so rare! Also, spent a Christmas in New York a few years back: It was bitterly cold, but no snow. Guess that's why Bing had to dream of it! ;-)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 pm 
Oops! Did you get sent to Australia because you had a criminal record??

:shock:

As for snow -- even Albuquerque, New Mexico gets snow at Christmas. Check out this photo from 2006:

http://www.pbase.com/jbarnhart/image/72691011

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Oops! Did you get sent to Australia because you had a criminal record??

:shock:

As for snow -- even Albuquerque, New Mexico gets snow at Christmas. Check out this photo from 2006:

http://www.pbase.com/jbarnhart/image/72691011

No: My dad dreamed of a warm Christmas.

Sorry, don't even know where NM is. I'm practising being more apathetic and insular about other countries (must be working: Already starting to feel judgemental ;-) ).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm 
manicmike wrote:
I'm practising being more apathetic and insular about other countries (must be working: Already starting to feel judgemental ;-) ).

Don't feel bad about it.

Everybody wants to be American. Sounds like you're well on your way!

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Everybody wants to be American. Sounds like you're well on your way!

Heh heh. Glad you got it :-)