View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:50 pm 
Let me start by saying Thank You to those who have put their time and effort into setting up and maintaining these sites. I realize you're all volunteers who are doing this for the love of Myth.

Now my request: I often search for a long time before ever posting a problem or question. In fact, I think it's good form to seek out answers (aka RTFM..) before asking others to spend their time answering a question that is readily available through searching. This can also lead to higher perceived numbers of people with no problems (the 'few people with no problems ever post' discussed earlier) , as there are probably many people with minor problems that search, find their answer, and never post. Anyway, I'm getting off track..

I often search for different terms or items simultaneously, putting each in a different tab. The title for the resulting page always says "knoppmyth.net :: Search", and the inline text always says "Search found # matches". Could phpBB be configured so it displays "Search found # matches for $whatyousearchedfor$"? This way you know what search result set you are looking at immediately. Bonus points for adding it to title bar also, as then it's displayed on the tab too.
Note this _might_ also reduce server load by a tiny tick, because those of us who forgot what we searched for before won't be hitting the server searching for it again. :)
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:24 pm 
I've always found the forum's bulit-in search mechanism to be
pretty much useless. This seems to be a result of two things:
1) phpbb's search mechanism just plain sucks 2) some people are
in the habit of attaching to the bottom of every post they make
a long list of keywoards that don't have anything at all to do
with the posting. That causes tons and tons of bogus hits when
using a brain-dead search mechanism like the one built into
phpbb.

I get far better results using google and specifying
site:mysettopbox.tv along with whatever phrases I'm interested
in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
The search URL somebody cooked up a couple years back now: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=+site:mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:15 am 
tjc wrote:
The search URL somebody cooked up a couple years back now: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=+site:mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all

How has this been here all this time without me noticing it!? That would have saved me lots of trouble a long time ago. I am in the category that searches and searches for answers before posting (and usually finds the answer). And this would have (and will be in the future) been a great help.

Is it stickied somewhere and I just never saw it?