View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Where is the Love?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 am 
I will admit I don't frequent the forums as much as I have previously but looking at the posts recently there hasn't been much "action".

Where has everyone gone, do they still use this wonderful product, or have you moved on?

Would love to hear from everyone on what they are using for their HTPC and that everyone is doing OK.

In Australia we have a campaign called "R U OK?", now I am asking you, Are you OK?

Post subject: Re: Where is the Love?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:42 pm 
Site Admin
Hi Girkers,

Still using it of course! I'm well, extremely busy with the day job but well. You?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:09 pm 
Hi gents ! I've been here since 2005, and still have it running on 6 machines ! (5 un-killable IBM 'office' towers, and a more modern Dell desktop)
As has been noted 'it just works', and I never used the 'extra gingerbread' add ons because they usually were what got problematic. When I need to set up a new machine, I stick to an old reliable version, and use common hardware like HD homerun, and the Hauppauge HD PVR. that way I don't need to ask the developers, who are waaay busy with their day jobs .. :mrgreen:

LinHes Mythboxes forever !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 am 
I can't believe you are still around Cecil, that is awesome to hear that you are still using it.

With my job I work 4 on ,4 off so still get a little time to play.

Recently I finally got a chance to play with my Raspberry Pi that I had probably had for about 12 months before I did anything. I still run a LinHES VM as my BE and have a full desktop in the Lounge as an FE, but I have tried Libreelec (Kodi) on my Pi and I am really liking it.

The biggest thing with my Pi is I can use CEC to control it through my TV remote and it makes it SO easy to use and I am partial to the interface. I was thinking of trying to use, I think it is called myth-light, on the Pi, but wanted to try something different.

What I do like with MythTV over the Pi is that everything is centralised on the BE, install a new FE and it just connects to everything. This may be possible with Pi but never bothered to look at it yet.

Keep the comments coming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:32 am 
Girkers,

First of all, it is awesome to hear from Cecil. It has been a loooong time. I started with knoppmyth in 2007 and it has served me well over the years. Ultimately, I got too greedy though. We got the little amazon fire sticks which could play netflix, prime, etc but I would have to switch inputs, find a new remote, deal with the slow performance of the underpowered stick.

I had already discovered kodi which I started using as a mythtv front-end on my Linhes box due to an nvidia bug. Then some developers created legitimate netflix, prime, even disney plus add-ons which are capable of playing videos in linux, albeit not necessarily at the full resolution.

Like you, I dabbled with kodi on raspberry pis as remote frontends. Unfortunately I could not get things to work reliably with mythwelcome so my pc based combined backend and frontend wouldn't auto-shutdown at night, leaving me somewhat frustrated.

When the pandemic hit, I discovered that a pi could be used as a backend (unofficially). I migrated the database and recordings from LinHES to a 4gb pi4 with usb3 hdd and invested in an nvidia shield and harmony hub for remote and have been extremely satisfied over the last few months. The harmony remote controls the shield over bluetooth and has an IR blaster for the tv and soundbar so I just have one remote. If there is something I can't play on kodi, I don't have to switch the input to get to the apps on the shield.

I really enjoyed LinHES and plan to continue monitoring the forums and contributing where I can to this amazing community. For me the decision to migrate was multifactored, but mainly due to the pc in my tv cabinet that was using power, generating heat, and making a fair amount of fan noise.

It would be amazing if there was a variant of LinHES for raspberry pi, "LinHES light" if you will, but I am sure that is a huge undertaking and would require supporting an entirely different processor. I think the pi is okay as a frontend, but for me, the value was as a backend that would run 24/7 and draw only about 5w.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 am 
knappster,

Thanks for your detailed update, it helped me with a project I am working on currently that is media based, more on that in another thread.

You also pointed me in a direction that I might be able to replace my Chromecast with a nVidia Shield TV for my bedroom TVs, as currently my wife has to pick what she wants on her phone and then cast it. This would then also depend whether she wants to watch something on Netflix or via Plex that is served from my BE.

It is also wonderful to hear that you are wanting and able to give back to the community and with more and more content going online to streaming platforms, this "product" may have a shelf life. However that doesn't stop us from enjoying our time now and into the future.

Awesome people, just awesome and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 am 
Girkers,

With regards to the shield, I originally was hoping to get the Shield Pro which has USB ports so that I could use FLIRC for my infrared Harmony remote which incorporated my streamzap remote for LinHES. However, the only thing in stock at the time was the tube style, so I got the Harmony Companion which has honestly worked out better since it is bluetooth with an infrared hub. You can also cast to the Shield in addition to all of the Android apps that you can install on it. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:16 pm 
It's interesting too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:11 pm 
Gotta be honest with ya'll Network TV isn't that interesting anymore. We bought a 4K TV back in February and We have been watching a lot of streaming stuff. My LinHES has only been recording PBS kids stuff lately and the kids watch that crap on their Kindle Fire tablets.
I was actually thinking about how I used to watch EVERYTHING in LinHES including YouTube and Netflix in the browser, but I've become one of the sheep lately. HDR is so pretty and I can't afford the PC hardware to make it work.
Why am I on the Forums tonight, well we had some brownouts last week and I think my database is corrupted, I came to figure out how to fix it.
:::EDIT::: LOL I'm an idiot my password got leaked so I had to change it on Schedules Direct and I never updated MythTV DOH!! I'm an idiot.