View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:08 pm 
(Just an FYI for those KnoppMyth users that might want to go wireless)

This may be an option for you if you're not keen on jumping into yet another configuration black hole, or you've given up on not-ready-for-prime-time drivers for your wireless card (like my TI ACX111 Fry's special that keeps locking up). A wireless bridge lets you connect wired ethernet devices to a little box that does the communication with your wifi router. These are popular for Internet enabled gaming consoles also.

I just bought a Viewsonic WAPBR-100 Wireless 802.11b/g access point / bridge. I believe they are still $24.99 plus shipping (~$5) from Compusa, if you order online. Plus there is currently a $5 rebate. In store price is around $60, so save yourself $35 and order online.

First point : THE INSTALLATION IS UNINTUITIVE AND THE MANUAL IS HORRIBLE

Second point: YOU CAN GET THIS TO WORK - don't believe the reviews that it doesn't work with WEP or WPA, or that you have to use Viewsonic routers or AP's.... I got this working in a bridging mode called "Access Point Client" with WPA-PSK enabled...it's connecting to my *other* Fry's special, an AirlinkPlus AR315W Wireless G router /switch.

Third: There's no firmware update available online yet, but hopefully the next revision will have a decent setup interface.

You'll need to configure it with a computer, which might be the one that will use the bridge. I just used a laptop to configure it, then I went and installed it on my Myth box. You'll also need the MAC address of your wifi router handy.

1. Set your PC to static IP of 192.168.1.x where x is anywhere from 3 to 254. The bridge's IP is 192.168.1.2 by default. Netmask should be 255.255.255.0, but don't worry about a gateway.

2. Connect your ethernet cable from the PC to the bridge, bring up your web browser and point to 192.168.1.2 Use the default pw to login.

Things gets confusing here since this device works in 1 of 3 modes, but you'd never know it from the config screen, so just follow along:

3. In the "LAN" settings area, set a static IP that will work and not collide with something else on your wifi network. I was able to just leave it set as-is (192.168.1.2). Set your netmask to the default 255.255.255.0. Set the gateway to that of your wifi router's IP. CLICK APPLY

4. In the "Wireless" area, set the SSID to that of your wifi network. Also set the channel. CLICK APPLY

5. Click the "Configure Security" button if your wifi network has WEP or WPA enabled. Enter your settings there with your key(s). CLICK APPLY.

6. Go to the "Operating Mode" tab, and click AP Client. Here's where the intuitive part goes out the door. If you click the "Site Survey" button, you will see your wifi network, but if you try to connect, it will error. Instead, avoid the whole site survey screen, and just enter the MAC address of your wifi router. CLICK APPLY.

7. At this point, you should be able to change the TCP/IP settings on your PC back to whatever you want them to be, or to automatic if your router does DHCP.

8. If everything went well, you'll be in business. Test your connection to the Internet.

One interesting point that caused a lot of grief...the MAC listed in the "Site Survey" area is 1 off of the MAC as listed on my wifi router settings page (e.g. last word is :74 vs :75). If I tried to use the MAC that the bridge said it was, then I couldn't connect. If I used the one I got right off the settings page of the router itself, it connected up.

My transfer rates are about 1.3-1.4 MB/sec, where the wifi router is upstairs in a bedroom, and the bridge device is down in the living room.

Good luck.
Robert