View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: interesting site.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:23 pm 
I ran across this site, and figured some of you here would like to use it.

http://www.googleityoumoron.com/

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:51 am 
Or for those who are feeling a little less subtle there's:
http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

:)

Mephi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:11 am 
I like it...man how I would like to send that to some of the people I work with..oh well just smile, right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:17 am 
All too common attitude... Intimidate the newby into standing on his own two feet! It was hard for us.. it should be hard for the next guy!

I'm sure that Mr. Gates loves to see this kind of attitude in Linuxland.. His revenue stream will continue even with his crappy service to customer attitude. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:51 am 
well here's the difference. I do my fair share of microsoft support at work. At work I get PAID!! Here I don't, I'm doing this cause I like to help people out, but my time is still valuable, and I don't appreciate people disrespecting that by expecting me to take the time to research their problem for them. I'm sure most other open source advocates feel the same way. Now I completely understand the sentiment if you paid for Red Hat support (not cheap) and they sent you to one of these sites.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:54 am 
As Xsecrets suggests we're like volunteers at an outdoor event, who are directing traffic, telling people where the porta-potties are, handing out programs, and trying to reunite lost kids with their grownups... Some of us (Xsecrets stands out here for the Wiki and FAQ) have invested some extra time and effort to get a map showing the location of the restrooms included in the program and to put up large prominent signs guiding people to them, and ... well you get the picture...

So here we are in our information booth, with a couple lost kids, one set of parents who can't find their kid, a line of people who have been out in the sun too long and need something to drink, ... and you expect us not to be frustrated with providing personal answers to supposed grownups who can't be bothered to read the sign over our head that says "Restrooms 100 feet that way -->" in letters 6 inches high? Would you like us to lead them by the hand, hold a perfumed handkerchief over thir noses during, and wipe their bottoms when they're done too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:22 pm 
tjc wrote:
Would you like us to lead them by the hand, hold a perfumed handkerchief over thir noses during, and wipe their bottoms when they're done too?

Bill Gates does it for money. The only way to beat him, is to do it for free.

Not every "volunteer" is an expert either.. some of us can merely point to that six inch sign.. some of us "value add" with a gentle "men to the right (pointing at a bush), ladies to the left".. and others have to be there with the "TP" and ask if a demonstration is required.

I don't think that Linux is anywhere near making computers "as simple as a toaster" .. (OK, and let's ignore those in the population that have difficulty with that appliance! .. and, I worked with an experienced computer programmer that couldn't program his VCR.)

WE have to do a lot better job selling the idea that TECHNOLOGY is the future of mankind... WHERE'S MY HOVERCAR!!! I've been CHEATED.

So, Mr Bush want's to get another man on the moon by the year 2015.. WHAT'S WITH THAT.. (It look us nine years to get there after the JFK speach!) WE have been ROBBED!!!

So, the eastern portion of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge was damaged in 1989.. In what DECADE will the "repair job" be finished??? It took only TWO YEARS to build the original bridge in the first place!! THEY ARE STEALING FROM US.

We have to do a better job at selling the idea.... TP in hand, if need be.

// Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:51 am 
Hey BluesBrian -- don't be so blue! Lighten up a little. X and the boys are just having a little fun. I think the links are funny, too, even though they might have been justifiably sent to me on occasion! No newbies were harmed in the writing of this thread. Don't get too preachy until you're posted, oh, about 3598 more messages (like Xsecrets).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:08 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Hey BluesBrian -- don't be so blue! Lighten up a little. X and the boys are just having a little fun. I think the links are funny, too, even though they might have been justifiably sent to me on occasion! No newbies were harmed in the writing of this thread. Don't get too preachy until you're posted, oh, about 3598 more messages (like Xsecrets).

Yeah, you're right.. and, actually, I did find the links funny.

A little "Technology Rant" is good now and then. It shouldn't be taken too seriously.. and I did fell like I was "preaching to the choir". Hey! This is "off topic". rant away!

I was watching an interview on CNN .. some NASA guy. He seemed a little tired of the same-old "isn't a waste of money?".. or "wouldn't the money be better spent..?". He answered something like .. NASA has an annual budget (a small fraction on defense budget) .. How would you like NASA to spend it? ... (How about.. Let's do something "cool"?)

// Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:52 pm 
:lol: Funny URLs.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!