Anybody in the UK using KnoppMyth?
I'd be interested in details of your setup and how well things run and
how long you have been a 'user' .
Cheers
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 am 
Hello,

I am in Brechin Scotland, a month a go I had never used Linux and now I have an almost fully working Knoppmyth, Mythtv system and it is brilliant. Along the way I have learnt alot about Linux and overcome a few issues there is a vast amount of support available from forums and maillists on the web so I have always found a solution to any problems.

Whats your plans?

Cheers
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:22 am 
Hi Paul,
thanks for your reply. I'm a little further south in Lancaster!

I want to run a backend server in the loft (noisy, big pc) and run front ends on 3 xbox and hopefully when funds allow, a nice quite "media centre" type PC.

We have Sky digital at the moment, the received is connected in to my Tivo, which I plan to remove when I have mythtv working.

My main question and problem at the moment is what should I do to be able to get an input to my back end MythTV box from the Sat TV reciever?
Taking in to account my sat tv reciever is downstairs next to the main TV at present.?
Any pointers are most welcome.

In the interim, I was sondering about getting one of the Haupauge Nova-T DVB cards, should this work ok with KnoppMyth do you know?

I was looking at this card:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=81811

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:51 am 
I'm in Ipswich, and I too was/am a linux nubie.

I've got a partly working knoppmyth system (front&backend), sitting under the telly.

I've still got quite a lot left to sort out in my box, but they're mostly things I've not fully resarched or given the time to sort out.

The main things I've got left to do:
Figure out how to get my Avermedia DVB card working.
Get MythGame working with my Mame Roms.
Control my NTL Cable STB from Myth.

If you're looking for a quick and easy PVR solution, get Sky+ or just stick with your TiVo.
If you're looking for a hobby, and you want to see how much cool stuff you can make happen through your telly, then MythTv is the way to go.

For the setup you're describing, I've got a few comments.
I don't know anything about that card, so it's probably worth searching the forums to see if other people have had success with it. But Myth does support DVB cards, so it could well work fine.
Putting a PC in the loft is always a bit iffy, as it can get quite hot up there in the summer.
You'd be best off moving the Sat reciever to wherever you're keeping the backend server, as that'll make it a lot easier to control. But yes, you can take an input from it.

Mephi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:10 am 
Mike,

I used a DVB-T card the Kwolrd XPERT DVB-T PCI ( http://www.kworldcomputer.com/product/D ... T-PCI.html ) which ebuyer used sell but they only seem to have the USB version at the moment. I choose it because it was the cheapest and money was tight. As first I wished I had bought a Hauppage card as initially it would not scan for channels. However I got help on this forum and found out I had to apply a patch to the kernel to get it working but now it works great. I am sure you will be ok with the Hauppage card as they seem to be well supported. Have a look at

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=TVCards

I have my backend/frontend pc installed in a cabinet beneath my tv, it is a wee bit noisy but I plan to get a quieter PSU soon, it usable at the moment however. I have set up Samba which allows the Linux box to share folders on the LAN, using this I can play recording on my laptop (wireless) or main windows PC. It also allows me to easily play video clips and music from my Windows box on the TV.

I am still a newbie but I will be glad to share any knowledge I have gained and try and help.

Cheers
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:59 am 
Thanks for the replies guys.

I managed to get one of my xboxes setup as a front end last night and see
what was supposed to be live tv on the screen!

However it seems the old WinTV Go card I have in the backend is not tuning in correctly, I just see noise on the tv screen.

The channel listings seem to be populated ok but when I choose one of the channels to change to, nothing really happens, just more noise on the screen.

I've only used this card to test things with, I had it lying around from an old project, I'll probably order one of the PVR250 cards soon, however it would be fun to see if I can get this WinTV Go to work for now?

I used to run a whole bunch of servers from my loft, both in the house I am in now and the old house, used to have about 6 servers up there at one time, including a dual xeon dell server and a dual proc SunSparc 2 server.

But you are right Mephi, it does get really hot up there. I moved everything to a 6 foot rack in the garage since then, much better.

So, any clues about the tuning of the WinTV card, its a BT878 type card and dmesg seems to report it as being detected properly, along with the tuner.

thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:14 am 
I used an old BT878 type card for my first try and I got only a green screen and a little interferance at first, I had to change "Card=" parameter in the BTTV file located in /etc/mythtv/modules. Have a look at http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/BTTV.html it includes a list of supported cards and the correct parameter.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:43 am 
pwfk wrote:
I used an old BT878 type card for my first try and I got only a green screen and a little interferance at first, I had to change "Card=" parameter in the BTTV file located in /etc/mythtv/modules. Have a look at http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/BTTV.html it includes a list of supported cards and the correct parameter.

Paul

Thanks, I've had a quick read, looks like it is card=10 for this card.
However it looks like it was being detected ok in the first place?

I've added the line

Code:
options bttv    card=10

to /etc/mythtv/modules/bttv0 now, so it looks like:-
Code:
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
options bttv    card=10

now.
I cant check it from here as I am at work now.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:50 am 
Mephi wrote:
If you're looking for a quick and easy PVR solution, get Sky+ or just stick with your TiVo.
If you're looking for a hobby, and you want to see how much cool stuff you can make happen through your telly, then MythTv is the way to go.
Mephi

Hi,
no I'm certainly not looking for a quick and easy PVR, however it must be
"wife friendly" :)

And as for hobby, well Linux/Unix/Xenix has been part of my life since 1988 :shock:
In fact I was totting up how long I've had a minimum of one PC running continuously in the house(s), it will be 20 years in 2 years time, phew.

Cheers
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 am 
Wife friendly actualy has it's drawbacks.
I know a couple of people that aren't allowed to work on their Myth boxes any more, incase it stops working.

My girlfriend has started usint the myth box, but once it's working properly with my NTL STB, I'll have to confiscate the remote and see if I can get her to watch living TV through the myth box...

Mephi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:50 am 
Hi,
the main thing I am struggling with at the moment is getting a TV picture from the WinTV Go (BT878) card?
All I see is a mostly green image with a section of noise at the top of the screen.
It looks like the card is being detected correctly.

I'm wondering - when I setup the channels I want to receive, (lets say
I pick BBC1 NW, BBC2 NW) and then do a mythfilldatabase, what
tells the tuner card the frequency these should be on?
Maybe there is something I am missing there?

thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:01 am 
I may be wrong but the way I understand it the Mythfilldatabase fills a database with your program guide information, it does not have any affect on the tuning of the channels. When you tune the channels in Mythtv-setup you can assign an XMLTV ID to each channel, this is used to link the program guide information gathered by mythfilldatabase to the channels you have tuned.

I had the exact same problem with the green screen when I firt tried but I cannot rememeber exactly how I got it working as I quickly moved on to my digital card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:50 am 
pwfk wrote:
I may be wrong but the way I understand it the Mythfilldatabase fills a database with your program guide information, it does not have any affect on the tuning of the channels. When you tune the channels in Mythtv-setup you can assign an XMLTV ID to each channel, this is used to link the program guide information gathered by mythfilldatabase to the channels you have tuned.

I had the exact same problem with the green screen when I firt tried but I cannot rememeber exactly how I got it working as I quickly moved on to my digital card.

Thanks for the info.
So I guess that means I need the channel number (or frequency?) of the channels I want to receive, so I can assign these in mythtv-setup.
Makes sense I suppose.

Post subject: Things to try.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:10 am 
Hi Dirky.

I am in Coventry, in the Midlands, and have a wicked knoppmyth setup going.

First of all, is your BT878 card of the DVB T variety ??? ie. can it rx freeview ??

Or is it just an analogue card ???? Which input do you have the NTL STB plugged into on the card ??? Have you bound the correct input to the Radio times grabber in mythtv-setup ????

If you want you can email me off list....

Regards

Matt Shaw
matt@shagshaw.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 am 
Dirky wrote:
Hi,
the main thing I am struggling with at the moment is getting a TV picture from the WinTV Go (BT878) card?
All I see is a mostly green image with a section of noise at the top of the screen.
It looks like the card is being detected correctly.

The channel frequencies are stored in the mythtv-setup program.

You need to get the right ones for your area, I got mine from the bbc website, but I don't have the URL any more.

Mephi

Go to page 1, 2  Next