View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 pm 
I'm to the point now where I'm comfortable adding stuff to my myth box.

My question is, I want to use the Daphne emulator for all the laser disc games(ie dragon's lair, space ace) I have. I've downloaded and installed the linux version of Daphne, however I have to exit and launch daphne from X-term.

A SEARCH OF THESE AND THE GOSSAMER THREADS :) gave me these instructions below but I am unsure if this will work with Daphne as well
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now that thats installed, u can play it but u hafta exit mythtv and open a terminal to run it
so i asked cesman how i could add it to a menu
he said all you hafta to do is add another line to the
/usr/share/mythtv/gamelist.xml file

i added this

<game>
<name>Epsxe</name>
<command>/home/mythtv/epsxe/./epsxe</command>
<genre>Playstation Emulator</genre>
<year>2002</year>
</game>

I believe there is a -nogui switch for epsxe but I'm unsure if this will work for Daphne.

Any insight would be much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:06 am 
well that procedure will create a menu item and run the program, as for nogui options etc I have no idea, I have never used that program. you can probably run it with --help and get the possible switches, or do man programname.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:01 pm 
well if u add the command that u use to run daphne from the commandline
and use <command>/home/mythtv/epsxe/./epsxe</command> replaceing epsxe command with the daphne, i never used daphne so im not sure how it works but i looked it up, u can look at http://www.daphne-emu.com/wiki/index.ph ... ommandLine for comand line things to configure it to run

and when knoppmyth r5 comes out i will be updateing the guide i built for epsxe and show how to change it and some sub menus and make the menu buttons run programs but u still need to have the compleat commandline command for daphne

and -nogui is a epsxe built in command

if ya need any more help feel free to ask

HTPC:

Asus Motherboard A7V8X-X
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB)
256MB DDR PC2700
Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200
WinTV-PVR-250MCE
Logitech wireliss MXDuo (keyboard and mouse)
Ati Remote Wonder

Post subject: Daphne Menu
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:12 pm 
Kaziya,

I actually tried doing what did in your epsxe guide, but somehow have managed to screw up the gameslist.xml file because I only see the Mame heading under games now.

As for command line options for Daphne, I used a gui called DirkLoader to call the Daphne executable. You use DirkLoader to configure the location of the mpeg files and frame files and path to the daphne executable. Once you can launch it from the GUI, you can set the option to display the command line equivelant of the gui in your shell window. It's pretty simple.

For the most part I have everything in place except for the Menu's in Mythgame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:33 pm 
try editing it and break it down to just this info

<gamelist>
<game>
<name>daphne</name>
<command>command</command>
<genre>Pc Games</genre>
<year>2002</year>
</game>
</gamelist>

replaceing command to the command that u would use to run it and update your game list

these menus can be case sencitibve so if u have the wrong case in the <> or missing <or> it my not show up or let u access it

HTPC:

Asus Motherboard A7V8X-X
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB)
256MB DDR PC2700
Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200
WinTV-PVR-250MCE
Logitech wireliss MXDuo (keyboard and mouse)
Ati Remote Wonder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:48 pm 
I've added a number of emulators by editing the gamelist.xml file. It will work for any Linux program, although for emlators that lack adequate command line support you may need to break out the mouse and/or keyboard.

From the looks of it Daphne should work fine, although I haven't installed it because I already own the Dragon's Lair DVD which is the only laser disc game I care to play.

What I would like to be able to do is add support for lirc and also would like to control MythTV with my gamepad.

What wireless controllers have you guys used for gaming? I really wanted to go with the wireless Gamecube controller but the USB converter only works with the corded controllers. Based on my limited research it looks like the Wingman is the way to go. Has anyone had any luck with the wireless Playstation controller or any others?

Post subject: Gameslist.xml
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:38 pm 
I've gotten all the games to show up in the menus, but, only one of them works. The other two, nothing happens when I select them in menu. This is strange because I can run them from my script just fine.

As far as controllers go, I've found the Wingman cordless to work ok. Although I cannot have it plugged into the USB port during startup, as it will hang the whole system. This is the case with the knoppmyth box and my Fedora 2 box as well.

The PS 2 controllers with the USB adaptor works as long as you keep it in analog mode.

Thanks for the help so far.

Post subject: Daphne/Dirk etc.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:47 pm 
Hiya, thought I would help. I have four or five laserdisc games running from the game menu. Here is how I got it going. (Please substitute your filepaths for mine). Also keep in mind that mythtv must be the owner and group of all files, and best to chmod 777 everything downloaded and modified.

First of all get dirk, the daphne frontend in the menu, this helps with getting comandline options, setting your options etc....and testing your rom/movie files :

add into /usr/share/mythtv/gamelist.xml

<game>
<name>Dirk</name>
<command>/myth/games/daphne/./dirk.run</command>
<genre>LaserDisc Game</genre>
<year>1983</year>
</game>

the dirk.run at the end of the command is a little script that contains :

cd /myth/games/daphne
./Dirk.linux

Ok, so we now know how to get our own commands in the Games menu.

Then play around with dirk for a bit, setting options and testing that laserdisc games play from there. Also note that every time a game is ran in Dirk it creates an entry in daphne_log.txt. So just run the game you want to add into the menu, and get the command line from the log.

Then add another item to the gamelist which runs a little script containing
the following :

cd /myth/games/daphne
./daphne lair vldp -framefile /myth/games/daphne/framefile/dl.txt -useoverlaysb -bank 0 11011000 -bank 1 01110011 -latency 300 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480

the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines in the example above is actually one commandline and should be entered as such with no line breaks.

The example above runs daphne using the rom in the lair folder with the virtual laser disc player using the framefile as pathed, overlays the scoreboard, the bank commands give endless lives, latency 300, so video doesnt end abruptly, and plays fullscreen at a resolution of 640x480, as I am displaying on telly.

These options were obtained from the daphne log file......you can play with different options to suit......

I actually have 4 dragons lair options, on the game menu, one with endless lives, one without, another which runs the improved V2 roms, and v2 roms with endless lives, but I am hoping to cut that down with one by creating a script which will ask the appropriate questions and launch dragons lair appropriately.....

Any questions, get in touch.....

Matt Shaw
matt@shagshaw.com

Post subject: Daphne/Dirk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:19 pm 
Matt,

I think we are both on the same page, I have menus "Cobra command" that launch the command line obtained from the daphne logs.

Here is my startace script

#! /bin/sh
#PATH=/myth/games/Daphne
cd /myth/games/Daphne
/myth/games/Daphne/daphne ace vldp -framefile /myth/games/Daphne/mpeg2/sae.txt -fullscreen -latency 0 -x 800 -y 600 -sound_buffer 256 -bank 0 00000000 -bank 1 00000000 (its all on one line)

and my gameslist.xml file has the following entry

<game>
<name>Space Ace</name>
<command>/myth/games/startace</command>
<genre>A LaserDisc game</genre>
<year>1983</year>

I get Space Ace as a game to chose in meus but nothing happens when I select it. I know the script works b/c I can launch it manually and all is good. Also Cobra Command works just fine from the menu.

After we get this ironed out,(it seems like something obvious that I'm missing here) maybe we can work on a wiki for this?

Post subject: Re Daphne
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:31 am 
Hiya

Nice to know someone else is trying to do what I am doing.....

Looks like your command string in the gamelist.xml is wrong, it should be as follows :

<game>
<name>Space Ace</name>
<command>/myth/games/./startace</command>
<genre>A LaserDisc game</genre>
<year>1983</year>

That is if the startace script lives in /myth/games, and not in the Daphne subdirectory. Also check that mythtv is the owner and group of all files sub to /myth/games, and chmod -R 777 *

Then from myth fronttend go into setup, games, scan for new games.

should then be fine.

Please send an email off list, to the address below. there is a few things I would like to discuss.......

Regards

Matt Shaw
matt@shagshaw.com