View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: need help with dial-up
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:40 pm 
Hello all! Does anyone have the patience to walk me thru setup of a dial-up internet connection with a serial modem so I can do 2 things
-1 get channel listings from zap2it,
-2 use apt-get to install, upgrade any other packages I may be needing?

Stuck now in an endless loop--seems that there are tools to help me connect to the net but I need to download the tool plus any dependencies with an XP machine, burn to disk, then swap drives.

New to Knoppix and Debian--very small exposure to Slack and Fedora Core. I am missing their tools to setup the dialup ppp connection. I went away from those distro's to try Knoppmyth for "ease" of setup. I am impressed with KnoppMyth but my lack of skill has ground my project to a halt.

Brief history:
First try wvdial. Tried this before with slack...I suspect some quirk with my ISP won't allow "intelligent" dialer to connect.

2nd try ddial, connects and appears to start PPP, but can't ping server (or anything else).

Can't call netconfig or similar command, though I can see it in /bin, says "not found" or something like.

Seems I am missing something. Does KnoppMyth have the tools I need or do I need to get something more?

I have read the much of the info available, but hand setup of a dialup connection might be beyond me. Could it be an IP table issue, default route issue, or something much more complex?

Modem is a serial modem, conexant flavor I believe, which has worked with slackware 9 and fedora core 2 with no issues.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could lend a hand!
birchc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:41 pm 
I used pppconfig to set up my dialup connection then I use the the pon and poff commands to connect and disconnect.

Also I have a problem because I set a gateway address to the network settings, which is useful when I drag the box to work but mucks up things when I try to dial up a connection from home. Any traffic gets sent out the eth0 ethernet card instead of out the ppp connection. Its probably not the best solution but I fix this by shutting down the ethernet interface with the "ifdown eth0" command before making the ppp connection.