View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:48 am 
knoppmyth-guru's:

i've been having some problems getting a brand-new-as-of-last-week PVR350 going. this is in stark contrast with my older PVR-350 which works superbly with knoppmyth.

based on some feedback i've been getting on the ivtv mailing list, it seems that it is necessary for me to update (or patch current) bttv so that the tuner module will recognize the newest flavor of PVR350.

see
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg01837.html
and
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg01812.html
and
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg01842.html

however, i'm a little unsure about how to go about updating bttv within knoppmyth. could someone be so kind as to walk me through the steps to do so? something more than "you'll need to recompile the kernel" would be appreciated.

thanks much,
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:28 pm 
With a pvr350 you need to update the IVTV driver not the Bttv driver. Here is a link to the most current ivtv drivers http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/

I believe you can find help on installing them by doing a search of this site.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:36 pm 
atomclock wrote:
With a pvr350 you need to update the IVTV driver

oh how i wish it were that easy.

read the linked posts above; i've updated ivtv out my you-know-what but it seems the latest LG TAPE tuner needs support via patches to bttv.

back to my original question-- how to update bttv?

regards,
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:03 pm 
Sorry, I can't help with the bttv driver. I am having trouble with the current bttv driver too. I am using bttv-9.15 because it seems to work the best but it seems to be buggy. I have even tried bttv-7.1?? but it didn't work very well with ivtv. There are new versions of video4linux available but I haven't been able to get those to compile on my myth box. I think it may be necessary to patch the kernel to get those drivers to compile. kind of seems like a lot of trouble.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:13 pm 
atomclock wrote:
I have even tried bttv-7.1?? but it didn't work very well with ivtv.

how did you try another bttv version? steps please.

thanks
jim

ps
one thread detailing patching the bttv tuner module is here, see 3rd para:
http://www.poptix.net/ivtv/Sep-2004/msg00254.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:06 pm 
I'll tell you what I did but that doesn't mean that I really know what I am doing...

As an example, go to the /usr/src directory and you will find a compressed file contianing bttv-9.15. uncompres the file

tar xzf bttv-xxxxxxetc

enter the directory then type

Make

as a super user type

Make install

Now you just need to do the same thin with other versoins of the file. I did not have to recomplie the kernel.

I hope this helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:41 pm 
I have the same problem as the original post. I have a newer pvr-350 with the type 47 tuner. I am running r4v4.1. I unpacked the linux sources in /usr/src and tried downloading a recent video4linux snapshot from linux.bytesex.org. But it wouldn't compile...maybe the latest snapshots don't support 2.4 kernels.

Can someone help with how-to on patching tuner.c and recompiling the kernel or just compiling/installing a newer tuner.c?

Thanks,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm 
crosstalk wrote:
I have the same problem as the original post.

rich,

are you saying you have the "same problem" as in "NO AUDIO" ?

everything else (video out to TV etc) works on my system. i have a "duplicate" system, with an older PVR350, and it works 100%.

thanks
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:54 pm 
Jim,

I think I may have written you directly from the ivtv list. No, I didn't have the same problem....I had poor tuner performance (bad audio and video). I recompiled tuner.c with the recent LG TAPE patches and things seem to be working ok (although picture quality on some channels could be a bit better).

I would post the tuner.o file here, but I don't think I can attach a file to this post.

Thanks,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:37 pm 
rich,

ok; i was thinking that you may have had the same issue i did.
i'm really starting to think i have a bad pvr350.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:48 am 
crosstalk wrote:
Jim,

I recompiled tuner.c with the recent LG TAPE patches and things seem to be working ok (although picture quality on some channels could be a bit better).

How did you recompile tuner.c? I did a search for tuner.c and could not locate it on my system (R4v5). I also went up to ivtv rc2.0 and still did not come up with a tuner.c file. I had read in several places tuner.c would have to be patched for the new pv250 (2002N) but can't find it.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:55 pm 
If I remember correctly, I unpacked the linux sources found in /usr/src. The tuner.c file is located drivers/media/video or something like that. I then did a 'make modules' for lack of an easy way to just recompile the one file. I then installed the resulting tuner.o by manually copying it to the appropriate path in /usr/lib/modules.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the lack of exact steps, but this is just from memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:54 am 
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I loaded a few other items and am now looking to find out how to increase the size of my root partition without doing a reinstall. Thanks again for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:17 pm 
First, you're on the right track, though I had to apply the patch by hand, as the patch supplied (the one with 2002N in the subject) was a patch against a slightly newer source version. This required a few changes, among them that the TAPE stuff ended up being element 44 in the array, so I altered the constant to 44 instead of 49

Second, the actual location of all the kernel files isn't really critical. If you want, you can install the kernel sources in some conveniently large partition (say, /myth?) and create a symbolic link from /usr/src/ to the actual location. This gets around your space problem. Try the following (approximate) commands. There will be some typos but you can probably get it to work.

Code:
mkdir /myth/src
cd /myth/src
tar -xjf /usr/src/linux-2.4.25-chw.tar.bz2
ln -s /myth/src/linux-2.4.25-chw /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
vi drivers/media/video/tuner.c
apply edits necessary to add magic constants for your tuner type
make modules
  be patient for a while
cp drivers/media/video/tuner.o /lib/modules/drivers/media/video

Third: Be very careful about which patch posting you use. An early posting was almost entirely correct except for one hexadecimal value that got screwed up. Look for postings that mention a typo being present that give the proper value.

Any further problems, post again with your results so far. When I get home I can look up the exact patch I made.[/code]

512 MB ram
Hauppauge PVR-350
ATI Radeon 9800
Phillips PCRW804 CD/RW
Seagate 7200 Barracuda 120 GB