All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:13 am 
Hi!
hope this is the right playe to post :?

I'm trying to get my DVD playback configured. When I run

myplayer dvd://

I get to see one single frame of the DVD and mplayer exits immediately afterwards saying:

Code:
Starting playback...
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
V:   0,2    2   0%  0%  0,0% 0 0 0%

Exiting... (End of file)

What font is it talking about? I greped the whole /home/mythtv folder for some subfont.ttf setting w/o success.

Thanks for some advice!

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:34 am 
No, it's not the right place. Installation is for problems with the INSTALLER. You've installed already, now you've got operational issues. This probably belongs in general. As for DVD problems, there are a number of different issues, some of which Cesman has asked us to tread lightly around.

- Mplayer is a PITA for DVDs as many don't play properly without the menu support it lacks. Xine works much better in my experience. You can find directions for installing and setting up xine by a search of the forum or a visit to the wiki http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=XineDVDHowTo

- Knoppmyth does not have support for playback of encrypted DVDs built in for US based legal reasons. (The DMCA is just another bit of proof that we've got the finest legislator that corporate money can buy.)

- From the string of messages you've posted I get the feeling you did something fairly strange during the install. Search the forum for some of the installation walk throughs. I did one for R4V4 which is probably still pretty close to correct, and I seem to remember at least one for R4V5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:28 pm 
Quote:
No, it's not the right place. Installation is for problems with the INSTALLER.

This is Linux -> Installation, not KnoppMyth -> Installation.
Quote:
Installing and configuration of addition software not included in KnoppMyth.

It's probably a configuration issue of mplayer.
Quote:
This probably belongs in general.

Frankly, you know what the right board would have been when you know the solution. In the beginning it's just a problem before it turns out, whether it's a hardware, software or whatever problem. I totally agree with the idea, that people should have a close look at which board they post in, but honestly, it seems a bit picky to me. You need a masters degree in "Board Selection".

However, I gave gxine a quick try and whoop - got it all working. I'll be going for xine then. Thanks!
But why then is mplayer the default DVD playerand not Xine? (Especially since installing Xine states some AT YOUR OWN RISK warnings)

Quote:
get the feeling you did something fairly strange during the install

I only compiled ivtv 0.2.0 before I could get anything on screen (watching TV). Does this also impact mplayer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:56 pm 
TomTom101 wrote:
Quote:
get the feeling you did something fairly strange during the install

I only compiled ivtv 0.2.0 before I could get anything on screen (watching TV). Does this also impact mplayer?

Actually the bleeding edge hardware probably accounts for a good chunk of your problems. ;-)

I recommend xine to people for DVDs because of all the problems I had with mplayer. It's just not very easy to get it working properly. The new ivtv driver shouldn't have anything to do with it, unless you had to install other packages as a result.