View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:26 pm 
Hi all,

I recently installed R5F1 on an ancient Dell PIII-700 with PVR-350 and PVR-250 cards installed in the machine, and using the 350 for video/audio output. Configuration went relatively smoothly, and I didn't experience any significant issues until I tried to watch live TV or a recording. When I tried that, I got the audio clearly, but a black screen.

I could see a little bit of the video around the blank area of the screen, so having had older versions of Myth on the machine and having had some experience with the 350/250 combo, it looked to me like perhaps it was a problem with the alpha not being set correctly when the system went to display video. Changing the alpha manually with the ivtvfbctl utility allowed me to see the video, so it seemed my suspicion was correct.

After a bit of poking around online, I arrived at a solution that seems to have completely corrected the problem - in the file /etc/mythtv/modules/KnoppMyth, add the line:

options ivtv-fb osd_compat=1

and restart the system. Apparently R5F1 doesn't completely configure the framebuffer for a default PVR-350 install, hence the need for this option in the module configuration. Hopefully this helps someone avoid the time I spent on it. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:36 pm 
cgremlin's post ended three days of searching for a fix for me. When using "Watch TV" for R5F1, I had video and no sound until I checked "Use PVR-350's TV-Out." Then I had sound and no video. I had to add "options ivtv-fb osd_compat=1" to "/etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv" to get video back. Now I have sound and video! Wohoo! My set up is stereo RCA connections and S-Video in from my DirectTV receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:51 am 
Looks like another 'YMMV' issue...
I run a PVR350 setup (on an IBM) that works 'out of the box' with RF1, no code fixes necessary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:26 am 
This should not have taken 3 days of the searching. One of the most widely publicized posts here is the R5F1 hints and hazards thread where this is covered as Known Change 5.4. If you haven't read it and possibly even used you browsers page search feature on it (it covers a lot of ground) you haven't done your research. I strongly recommend reading it now before struggling with any other issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:18 am 
The_Crimson_Dynamo wrote:
I had to add "options ivtv-fb osd_compat=1" to "/etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv"
worked for me, I wasn't able to get the stuff to fit onto the TV screen nicely using the RCA out.