Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:17 pm 
My system consists of:
P4 2.4
Abit IS7
GF3 Ti200
PVR-350
512 mb ram

I don't know some of the settings to select when installing everything. I have the newest release - R5F1. Can someone please help me get everything working? I am so close. I will outline the install as far as I have gotten. Hopefully someone with a similar system can help me out.

I install knoppmyth, reboot. The KM computer is hooked up to the sony 27" tv via svideo out from the geforce3. I have the KM box connected to the tv for the whole installation. When I reboot after the initial install, the screen comes up as a mess of black and white. I ctrl+alt+F1 and get into the settings. I log in as root user, and edit the xorg.conf so that the resolution is set at 640x480. Then I issue the reboot command. The system reboots and I can see stuff on my tv. I enter the password to log into mythtv. I enter the time, then say yes to DHCP broadcast. The screen says it detects my PVR-350. I enter yes to configure TV out for the 350. MYTHTV then boots to the setup screen. In the general setup I change the channel frequency table only. I don't change any other settings I just hit enter in the general setup. In the capture cards setup I say new capture card, then switch card type to MPEG-2 encoder card, then finish. In video sources, I enter zap2it for the vid source name, then enter my user id and password for the channel listings. I also change channel frequenecy to the same as I did before. In the input connections menu I just set Tuner1 to zap2it on the video source line. I then hit escape twice to get the system to get out of setup. It runs some scripts, then goes back to the mythtv setup (same screen as before with general, capture cards, vid sources...etc). I just hit escape twice again. I then get a list of channel lineups in the black screen. I enter the lineup I want (the cable lineup for my apartment). A bunch of scripts are run againm then it goes to another setup screen. I say no to bootsplash. No to rrd. Then I select my remote. HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP. I DON'T KNOW WHICH REMOTE TO SELECT. Is it the hauppauge grey, silver, or hauppauge pvr-150 remote. I see no pvr-350 remmote. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. I have been doing a process of trial and error and I can't pick the right one. It prompts me to still do some manual setup for IR blaster. I say OK. It asks if I have a serial port IR blaster. I say no. SHOULD I SAY YES? IS THAT WHAT I PLUGGED INTO THE BACK OF THE PVR 350? I say no to ROMDB. Then I enter a password. THen I say no to cpu foldingathome. I may say yes once I finally get this thing running right. The system runs more scripts then boots to the main mythtv screen. (Watch TV...).
The tv seems to work ok IF I SWTICH MY SVIDEO PLUG FROM MY GEFORCE3 TO THE PVR SVIDEO OUT. I don't want to do this every time obviously... HOW SHOULD I SET UP MY SYSTEM SO THAT I HAVE TV OUT BUT DONT HAVE TO SWITCH THE CABLE EVERY TIME. I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE PVR350 VIDEO OUT BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER AND FILLS MORE OF THE TV SCREEN. Please help me out there. Also, my keyboard doesn't seem to work to change channels or anything. So if I knew how to configure the pvr350 remote that would help a lot.
That is as far as I have been able to get. Please help me out. I would greatly appreciate the help, as I think I am so close. I have been working on this for weeks and would like to get it figured out here. Thanks in advance for help. Also, is there a way to go back and re-do the initial setup where i change the channel frequency and video inputs, etc.? Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give all the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:54 pm 
Hi,

Well, don't know if I can help much but you seem to be going down the correct path. Assuming you have a "doggie shaped" remote (in battery compartment AH415) I use the pvr150 for doggie bone :)

You also should review tjc's excellent Hints&Tips. Also there is a patch to add to /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv .. I just posted that a day or so ago to remove the black overlaid box. I wish I knew who had posted it originally so he would get the credit.

When you setup for 350 tv out. that is where it goes, the dongle cable. There is also a check box in the utilities to use 350 hardware decoder - you will want that.

You won't be using the video card when using tv out so a lessor capable one could be substituted. You would have to change the driver in xorg.conf to match if not nvidia.

Audio should also go out the dongle cable. Most route that into line in and then the remote can control tv audio as well as music etc. You may have run alsamixer to enable adjust the level for line input.

Hope this gets you started
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:00 pm 
Details good. One giant paragraph... Well... lets just say it's too hot here today to work that hard. ;-) Sounds like you're doing OK so far from what my sizzling brain could absorb...

- See the R5F1 hints. Something there might help.
- Also see the BlackScreenWatchingTV troubleshooting page on the wiki for some configuration help.

Links to both in my signature... Sizzle, sizzle, pop, hiss, sizzle, ....

Last edited by tjc on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:00 pm 
I have A415 in the battery compartment, not AH415

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 pm 
A415 is correct. That's the dogbone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:06 pm 
Hi,

sorry, sizzle - hiss - pop, warm here too, and a senior moment crept in on top .. bummer.

Thanks tjc
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:13 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions. I am reading through the R5F1 hints now. I will also check out the black screen watching hints. I may or may not get around to another install attempt tonight. I am sick of this thing for now. Sorry about the 1 paragraph, it was a sort of brain dump that I wrote as I went through the process...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:16 pm 
You _can_ go back and edit it, just adding some line breaks would make a world of difference.

As for the hints and the wiki page, for your purposes the changes/issues and post-install parts are what you're interested in anyway. No need to reinstall unless you did something really crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 pm 
so for the remote - do I select the Hauppauge 150 dog bone? It says I will have to do some further editing to get it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:56 pm 
That'd be my first guess.

If you search for messages with me as the author which mention both lircrc and lircd.conf you should find the ones I posted which are setup for both the grey "cigar" remote and the silver "dogbone" remote. Here's one...

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... lircd+conf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 pm 
Hi,

Unless you really pork something severly there should be no need to re-install. Just take the items one at a time then step onto the next. Soon it will be happy and also you.

Mike