View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 am 
Hi,

this is my network:

Desktop(WinXP) ------------------->Switch ---------->Router / Masterbackend(Suse) -----> Internet
Frontend (Knoppmyth)--------------^

The Mythfrontend boots from Masterbackend-Server via nfs root. My problem is, that from time to time the network "hangs". That means that no packets arrive any station. I can't ping from desktop to Server or from Server to Backend or anything else. It only happens while watching liveTV.

What I have done:
- I increase the value for /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ipfrag_high_thresh
- I switch the boot option to NFS v3
- changing cables
- changing NIC on Server

Has anyone a better idea?

regards

Dfr0g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:01 am 
Does LiveTV hang? you didn't say.

Could I suggest it is possibly the switch as well, have you tried to power cycle the switch when the problem exists?

If possible another way to trouble shoot would be to take the switch out of the situation. "If possible" you would need a cross-over cable and connect the Frontend to the MBE directly using this cable and test watching LiveTV and see if the problem exists.

Another thing you could try is d/l a program for windows called ShowTraf (there may be a Linux equivalent) this will show you what traffic is occurring on your network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 am 
Yes livetv hangs. I tried to power off and switch the switch (*g*) on again when it happens. But this doesn't bring the network up again. I think it's not the switch. I think only the server goes down. The server hosts the system for myth and itself. So I can't ping both systems when the server goes down. I decreased the mtu on all interfaces in the net to 1492 ( recommended ). This speeds up the net(!) but the lags where also there. For know i disabled a bridge interface that ist installed on server to let openvpn clients connect my network and I disabled the default autoexpire option for livetv. It could by that both backends ( slave and master ) try to delete expired records on same time..... I hope this will fix it :)

regards

Dfr0g