View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HELP plz Partitioning
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:36 pm 
i tried installing the new version of knoppmyth. After the cd boots to the menu screen.

First case: tried doing the auto install, i answered all the questions, the installer reaches the partitioning phase and hangs at 14%...

Second Case: try manual installation, when i choose the hard drive to partition it goes to a black screen with white letters at the bottom saying "Opened Disk read-only- you have no permission to write". I press enter, the cfdisk program comes up with the cd information such as 641 mb for size.

was i suppose to format the hard drive before trying to install knoppmyth?
please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 am 
Sounds like it can't detect the hard disk, it might be helpful to have your full hardware spec...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:19 am 
This sounds vaguely familiar to another problem someone was having. Is it possible you have a single hard drive, and it is somehow misconfigured as a slave drive? Maybe it's jumpered as a slave; maybe it's set to Cable Select, and is on the wrong connector? If that's the case, make it the master, and try again.

If that shot-in-the-dark misses then like mad_paddler says, give us the make & model of the motherboard and drive, or if it was a prebuilt system the make & model of the overall system. Other details like if there was another OS on the drive might help, although if there was another OS on the drive the failed auto-install probably killed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:59 am 
The other easy alternative to this is, if you have cdrom and hard drive on ide cables, you've plugged them into the wrong sockets. swap and all should be good.

edit.... This is true if you are installing to a SATA drive, if the IDE cable for the cdrom/dvd is just in the wrong socket too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:22 am 
This is a Voodoo envy m780 laptop with RAID built in, currently i am using 1 80 gig hd and it picks up as the first device in the detection list during the boot up phase of the machine. During the manual installation during the partitioning screen the name of the hd does come up as the only device that can possibly be partitioned. But when it is chosen thats when cfdisk does not pick up the hd.

for more spec on the machine, here is a link.
http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/58214 ... -m780.html

prior to trying to install knoppmyth i had winxp running just fine on the machine so i dont think its the hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:19 am 
trowa116 wrote:
This is a Voodoo envy m780 laptop with RAID built in
Disable the RAID (do you have multiple drives in there?). Is the drive SATA or PATA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:41 am 
I have only 1 80 gb ide hard drive inside the laptop. if there were 2 then the RAID function would be enabled. The hard drive does come up during the post of the machine, and comes up as unpartitioned in the winxp installations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm 
Run the manual installation. You will need to select a drive other than /dev/hda - Try hdb (or hdc or hdd). If the drive is SATA you'll need /dev/sda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:20 am 
how do i choose that option since only that one hard drive comes up on the list of drives to partition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:26 am 
Hang on, you say there is an ida drive in your laptop? That is an PATA drive not an sata drive.
Is there some slight possibility that this drive has been mis-set somewhere? It should just work. Is it listed at a master on the primary channel in the bios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:15 am 
the cdrom comes up as the first device on the ide chain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 pm 
Hi

The drive may be a physical ide however the interface to the mother board may also be serial. Dell D610 is that way (mine anyway) Guess it makes it eazier to route the ~6 wire of serial instead of the 40/80 of a ribbon. I just did a manual installed to the sata partition that I had reservered for KM. It wasn't till days later that I pulled the drive and made the ide / sata discovery.

Works fine.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:43 pm 
I was getting the same error, also had my CD-ROM and the master, swapped the drives, made the cdrom slave and HDD master and it installed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm 
its a laptop that doesnt allow that sort of configuration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 pm 
Hi,

Since this seems to be abit unusual, maybe download gparted and run it to give your self a good eagle view of your system.

Mike

Go to page 1, 2  Next