View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Noob on KnoppMyth
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:27 pm 
Hey everyone, I got the latest version of KnoppMyth installed and running. However, I cannot accomplish what I thought this program would do... Let me watch TV. It's been quite frusterating and I even downloaded and installed the previous version. Here's what I got:

Athlon XP I think 1300, around 1ghz.
I think the chipset is VIA on the mobo
Nvidia GeForce 256MB graphics (6600? or something)
Hauppauge PVR-150 (with remote)

I set up the card exactly how it should, however I have no channel guide that I want to pay for or anything so, I click no grabber or whatever. Next I set up the sources and all that jazz and then I scan for channels. It finds all the correct channels. Once everything is completed and installed correctly I go to watch the TV, I get half a minute of black and then it boots me back to the main menu. What is going on?

I tried the Wiki articles already, to no avail. I once got a few seconds of fuzz and then it quit and went back to the main menu again.

I'm really a noob on linux so far, so I don't know how to do a lot of stuff yet that yall will probably have me do. Thanks for the patience in advance

Can anyone help me out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:52 pm 
Hi,

Start with a review of tjc's Hints&Tips. He covers a considerable amount of area giving details that should assist with your problem.

If that doesn't do it for you, come on back :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
If your system is that old (not that there is anything wrong with using an older system), there is a change that the Via chipset and the PVR-150 will not play nicely. First off, where do you live? There really shouldn't be a need to scan with the PVR 150. At least no reason, I've found. I'd suggest clearly and concisely tell us what your problem is and provide details on what you've tried. We are happy to help so long as you provide details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm 
Okay here's what happened. I ended up spending my whole Saturday trying to get KnoppMyth to work. So, after frusteration I cleared the hard drive and installed Ubuntu and used actual MythTV. I would recommend this, that way you have a whole OS and MythTV, but to each his own. Anyways, I got MythTV to work. Except, I can only tune to one channel and that is channel 5. I live in the Twin Cities area and use Comcast Basic Cable (Eagan) US-CABLE. Anyone know why I can't change channels? I've tried a bunch of crap, but to no avail. I realized I was missing the graphics card driver, and that probably would have fixed KnoppMyth, but I've moved on.
Has anyone else had this problem with the channels not being able to change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:49 pm 
MCHAccord wrote:
I can only tune to one channel and that is channel 5.

Covered on the http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenWatchingTV wiki page...
Quote:
If you are connected directly to the cable (no cable box) and all the channels are bad (snow/fuzz/black/quits/...) with the possible exception of channels 5 & 6 you need the opposite of us-cable/us-cable-hrc from what you currently have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
MCHAccord, sorry to hear about your problems and it is disappointing to not enable us the opportunity to help you use KnoppMyth. As you said though "to each his own".

As to getting support for your current problem you may also want to check out the mythtv lists at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ They are more targeted at general MythTV issues.