View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Time Sync and PPP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:37 am 
Hi All,

I have my box up and running using ppp dial-up to get the channel updates. How do I get time synchronization to work with the very infrequent connections to the net? I have been manually resetting the clock just to keep a reasonable time on the system.

Thanks for any ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:15 am 
Hi,

My eyes must have been glazed over for this one as I just noticed your request. Anyway I have to go on memory here as last time I had to visit the machine was a while. (Thu Dec 20 00:59:02 EST 2007 00:59:02 up 434 days, ) It is running R5A26 or A30, I forget as it just runs like a rock.

If I recall correctly, I monitored the log for a dns and then run ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org with the results sent to a log so I can monitor the correction factor. Since you are pulling the schedules, then simply add ntpdate before you hang up.

After a few times, ntpd will track pretty close in between calls as it will have figured out a correction factor.

If dig up the script, I will add it here for you but simply adding the one line to your run line after dialup is completed. After a few weeks the corrections on this one box has been always less than a second so it does work.
20 Dec 07:01:48 ntpdate[27092]: adjust time server 75.144.70.35 offset 0.162867 sec

Mike