View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Skype
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 pm 
I did a little looking around this forum and found nothing about running a Skype server on a Knoppmyth box. I did find this article at MythTV.org: http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Integr ... hTV_system
that might be useful. I'm comfortable giving it a shot if I've got decent odds of it working; however, I'm not comfortable enough to recognize that there is something clearly within the description that is a showstopper.
I would very much appreciate if a savvy user could glance across this page and report back how likely it is to succeed. I will not hold anyone responsible for screwing up my box or something, I just don't have it in me to jump in blind.
I'd love to get Skype integration into my pots lines from my knoppmyth which already runs 24/7 anyway.
arri

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:49 pm 
Having a browse of the article it does not appear that it would cause to many problems, as the article is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian which KnoppMyth is based on. There is no real dependencies apart from the three files they tell you to put in.

What you may have to watch out for is that as the external device is USB this can some times caused changes to other devices in your system if you are using USB devices, such as tuners, keyboards and other stuff.

Could I suggest you backup first before doing anything, even to the extent (if pratical) take an image of your complete system that way if something catastrophic happens you can restore to exactly where you started from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm 
Thanks for the advice, always sound. That it was based on Ubuntu I found comforting as well. Unfortunately I don't consider my current installation sound enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on a format and install.

If I can find some time, and pick up one of these usb interfaces, I'll give it a shot.

arri

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:51 am 
I have a couple of USB converters that I got from ebay. They work very well on an XP computer at work. At the time (a year or two ago) the best prices for these devices were on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:10 am 
Are the Linux drivers available? I think I read in more than one location that the only one that will really run on linux is the B2K...

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 pm 
The ones I've bought use SkypeMate software. A quick google showed that there is a SkypeMate for linux. Its a little weird because it requires you to press two extra buttons before the phone number, and the pound key after, but it was otherwise fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:39 pm 
So I'm getting closer to trying this. I'll try and keep track of everything I do and post my experience as it goes.
In reviewing the http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Integrating_Skype_with_a_MythTV_system )article, I see it involves the installation of an Xvnc server. I beleive that X11VNC is already installed so I imagine I should configure it appropriately.

Appropriately? The goal is, according to the wiki, "to route its GUI to a virtual X server" so that the Skype gui doesn't interfere with the Myth frontend. They do it by configuring their VNC server startup script. However, according to the KnoppMyth Wiki, "the whole page (KnoppMythWiki )is the answer to your exact question! If you want another discrete desktop session, you have to use vncserver."
If I read this properly, I cannot use the installed x11vnc server to discretely handle the Skype client gui? That I should install an additional vnc server to do so?

arri

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 pm 
I know Skype is closed source, but there is a Linux version out there, and I do have a working camera attached (shows an image when I open mythphone, works with Motion).

IF I just install the Linux version as a standalone app... can I put a "hook" in to Myth's Frontend that will allow me to simply launch the the Skype App "in front of" the frontend... and then when I quite Skype, the Frontend comes back to ...umm... the front?

I know I'd need my keyboard attached to do anything, but at least I'd have a way to vid conference from my couch. Cool for the relatives to see the little ones. I've never gotten the seemingly abandonend MythPhone module to ever "see" that anyone on SIP phone is actually logged in (when they are). So interested in an alternative.

Video Card: FX 5200 7100GS, 128MB Fanless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:01 am 
dvanbrunt,

To do what you want you could create a script to do what you need and then just modify the menus to add a link to the script. The script would launch the application and when you quit it should go back to the front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:59 am 
arriflex wrote:
So I'm getting closer to trying this. I'll try and keep track of everything I do and post my experience as it goes.

Arri, I haven't seen a recent update from you on this. I want to do exactly what you are trying and I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out for you before I repeat the experiment. Thanks!

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 am 
Girkers wrote:
dvanbrunt,

To do what you want you could create a script to do what you need and then just modify the menus to add a link to the script. The script would launch the application and when you quit it should go back to the front end.

That makes sense... and a script to launch the app seems easy enough. That would be good for making calls (just launch the app when ready, quit when done). Wondering also about an alternative... if I set up Skype to login automatically when the computer boots, but before the frontend... would it be "behind" the frontend, listening for calls? I'm wondering what will happen when a call comes in and Frontend is in front. I'm guessing it's possible to send a command through the IR Remote to bring Skype forward, another to bring the Frontend back to the front.

I am just wondering what 'expected' behavior would be before I go mucking around with a working system! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:58 am 
I haven't gotten anywhere with it, honestly. My 500g Samsung had some super screwed sectors and was making all sorts of trouble for me before I finally ran spinrite with no success on the drive. Long story short, I installed a clean from scratch version (figuring any wackiness I'd previously incurred should go with it) and am just starting to get back into some of these projects. Unfortunately, the new dvd burner [PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D] I installed with the new hdd wouldn't run the install CD! So now I've got my old apple dvd player [MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8584A] and the new burner and I'm learning how to configure optical drives for use with the archiving app.

Anyway, where I left off. I hadn't decided how to handle the skype gui. I really don't care about seeing it as I will only be using a very limited contact list, and no video (yet, I think that having video with the grandparents would be nice at the tv for the kiddies). Your idea of popping up a window when appropriate is very intriguing.

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just don't have appropriate skilz yet to feel comfortable in uncharted territory. With guidance, I'll try it.

arri

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:09 pm 
Could I suggest the best and easiest way to setup and test what you are doing is to use a Virtual Machine, this way if it breaks, you can go back to the original VM and start again. From conversations I have had Virtualbox is probably the most appropriate for this.

As to this subject in particular you could start the app prior to starting the front end and I think ALT+TAB works in cycling through open applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:14 pm 
Well, my meager skills aren't even that far... I downloaded Linux Skype from skype.com.... and it's a .deb file, I have no idea what to do with it.

However, it says on the download page that you need:

# Qt 4.2.1+
# D-Bus 1.0.0
# libsigc++ 2.0.2
# libasound2 1.0.12

and so right at the first one, I don't think KnoppMyth is set up to work with it. I'm quite nervous about breaking the knoppmyth system to run skype, and don't have a VM set up to test it on.

Interesting idea for the future, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 am 
yee have little faith! Check out the mythtv.org link I listed above for a basic explanation of how this stuff can work. The only real crossover with our installation appears to be within the space of VNC and X server. Now what could possibly go wrong there? :roll:

The question I have is whether installing and running an additional VNC server in the form of the author's choice of vnc4server and its associated client, xvncviewer will conflict with the VNC and X servers built into Knoppmyth's R5F27 installation.

arri

500gb SATA
1x Plextor PX-M402U
1x HD5000
R5.5 Upgrade from F27

Go to page 1, 2  Next