View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:07 pm 
I would be interested in getting skype to work with Knoppmyth as well. Has anyone successfully installed skype on knoppmyth setup? I tried for a while tonight with little luck.

Post subject: I'm Using Skype
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:59 am 
I am using Skype with the R5F27 version of Knoppmyth. I did not follow the articles instructions and I cannot answer a call currently! however I can make calls, so when I get a Skype call I just return the call. My old Logitech webcam is working for video calls. Here is the simple way I set mine up.

To do this you'll probably need to use VNC to manipulate the Skype menus, enter your username and password and set up your webcam. After that, you can program some of the remote keys to bring Skype to the foreground, arrow through your contacts and make a call.

I did not take notes when I installed Skype, but I'm sure I downloaded the deb and installed it using ssh as root.

To run Skype the first time, you may have to VNC to your box, exit Mythtv and get an X shell. Then type skype to start it. Enter your username and password and check the box to automatically log you in when skype starts.

Next I edited the apps file in /home/mythtv/.fluxbox and added

[startup] {skype}

as the second entry. I start mythwelcome instead of Mythfrontend so I have Skype infront. However when I click select on the remote to start the front end from MythWelcome, Skype goes to the background. I do not configure Mythwelcome to automatically start mythfrontend, but this might work for you if you don't like staring the mythfrontend manually.

Next I edited my /home/mythtv/.lircrc

Knoppmyth already starts irxevent so I just added a few commands to change focus and arrow through my contacts and make a call:

# down arrow in skype
begin
button = green
prog = irxevent
config = Key Down my_skype_username
end
# up arrow in skype
begin
button = yellow
prog = irxevent
config = Key Up my_skype_username
end

# switch to skype
begin
button = blue
prog = irxevent
config = Key alt-Tab RootWindow
end

# enter in skype skype
begin
button = red
prog = irxevent
config = Key Return my_skype_username
end

Of course my_skype_username should be changed to yours. It is the title of the Skype window. Then after rebooting I was able to change focus to skype or back to mythtv by hitting the blue button a few times. I could scroll through my contacts with the yellow and green and with the red button i could call the selected contact,

There is one thing to watch out for, Knoppmyth may have an extra pwc.ko file in directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-chw-13/updates. This caused issues with my webcam and I needed to rename it.

Knoppmyth is fantastic, Cecil thought of everything it seems. It was not too much trouble to set up Skype in this incomplete, but functional way. Hopefully others will post to this thread and suggest improvements.

Last edited by chrismcnally on Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:20 am 
The problem with not being able to answer inbound calls may be related to port forwarding. As the incoming port may not be able to get through your router.

The reason it works when you establish the call is because your router recognises that the connection was established from inside the network and sets up the routing table to know how to route the traffic to your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 am 
thanks for the advice. That may be true for others, but instead the reason I cannot answer a call is I cannot define a remote button to do it. When I get a call, a small window opens in the right 'tray' area but I don't have a remote key set up that would answer it. I might try "enter" to the current window and see if that works. It would be great if skype had some hotkeys I could code into the remote for answering and rejecting a call.

Girkers wrote:
The problem with not being able to answer inbound calls may be related to port forwarding. As the incoming port may not be able to get through your router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:37 pm 
Just looking through my Windows version of Skype, I am able to set hotkeys, it is in the Advanced section of the Options. It looks by default that Alt+PgUp is the answer call keys.

Post subject: Logitech webcam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 am 
Hi Chris

I have tried to no avail to get my old Logitech Webcam going on KM.

Could you possibly advise me how you did it ??? And which actual model you have ???
email addy is matt at shagshaw dot com

AMD Sempron 2400+ on Via Motherboard,
512MB Ram, 160GB IDE HDD,
Nvidia Geforce FX5500 128MB TV-Out,
2 x Twinhan DVB-T BT878 (Freeview UK)
KnoppMYTH R5F27

Go to page Previous  1, 2