View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 pm 
This is probably really just a general linux question:

I have a new bigger harddrive to replace the older one. I simply want to copy everything over.

I used the 'dd' command, and it dutifully copies everything over, partitions and all, seemingly perfect..

Until I swap out the old drive and swap in the new one. My system wont boot. The data is there because I can look at it when I connect the drive on a working system. But something is missing when it tries to boot from it.

I can't figure out what to do.

Of course, the next step after getting it to boot would be to resize the myth partition to use up all the new space, but I havent even gotten that far yet (parted should be able to do this, no?).

The other idea I had was to simply install the latest 5.5 on the new drive, and then copy the backup files from the old drive, and do a restore backup.. would that work? Would I be better off reinstalling R5F27 and do the backup restore, and then do an upgrade to 5.5?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:26 pm 
greywire wrote:
My system wont boot. The data is there because I can look at it when I connect the drive on a working system. But something is missing when it tries to boot from it.

Problem: You have no boot record (used to tell the machine where to look on the disk for an operating system).
Solution: You can copy the old one with dd using the device names of the whole disks, whereas before you just used the partition. Let's say you have old disk /dev/sda and new disk /dev/sdb. Boot from your old disk, then try "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1". Power the computer off, disconnect the old disk and power on. You should now be able to boot.

It will be a bit more difficult if your old disk is IDE and new one is SATA, but not that difficult. Look at Google for "linux root=<blah> boot=<blah2> single". You will need to note down the kernel version, and enter the lilo prompt's options with the ctrl or shift keys.

Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 pm 
manicmike wrote:
Solution: You can copy the old one with dd using the device names of the whole disks, whereas before you just used the partition. Let's say you have old disk /dev/sda and new disk /dev/sdb. Boot from your old disk, then try "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1". Power the computer off, disconnect the old disk and power on

Why not just use the CD in rescue mode and run lilo? That's far more likely to give good results and avoid accidents.
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WillNotBootAfterInstall
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=ReinstallingTheLiloBootloader

OBTW - I usually recommend that folks copy disks at the file level rather than at the sector level.

1) Partition and format the drive (use cfdisk and mkfs)
2) Use rsync in archive mode to copy the contents (be careful not to try copying pseudo file system like /proc)
3) Install lilo from rescue mode.

I actually use this method in my deep backup script (published elsewhere in the forums) to snapshot my file system before any risky experiments.

Post subject: no luck..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:32 pm 
When I did the DD command I did just as described, on /dev/hda and not on the individual partitions. It copied everything over, creating the same partitions, but I could not boot from it.

I then tried the reinstall of lilo, and I followed the wiki page instructions. It seemed to have worked fine, but I still could not boot.

I tried just doing an auto upgrade to 5.5, hoping in the process it might fix the issue. No go.

Can you show me how I might use the rsync command to do this (I can handle the partitioning part)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 pm 
greywire wrote:
The other idea I had was to simply install the latest 5.5 on the new drive, and then copy the backup files from the old drive, and do a restore backup.. would that work? Would I be better off reinstalling R5F27 and do the backup restore, and then do an upgrade to 5.5?
Either one sounds like a good solution.

Do you want to keep both disks in the machine? If so, I would just leave the smaller disk as is, copy your existing /myth/tv files to the new disk, wipe your old /myth/tv, and then mount the larger disk as /myth/tv.

To use rsync to copy the contents of /myth/tv:
Code:
rsync -a /myth/tv/ /mnt/

The trailing slashes are important.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:43 pm 
hari wrote:
Do you want to keep both disks in the machine? If so, I would just leave the smaller disk as is, copy your existing /myth/tv files to the new disk, wipe your old /myth/tv, and then mount the larger disk as /myth/tv.

To use rsync to copy the contents of /myth/tv:
Code:
rsync -a /myth/tv/ /mnt/

The trailing slashes are important.

This sounds like it might be the option that I would want to go. I've been reading up on the other options; LVM vs. Storage groups. LVM seems to be the worst option and hardware raid is limited on drivers.

I can get the drive over to another machine and R5.5 loaded. Could you help a newbie on some detailed steps for getting the new drive set up and mounted? The original drive is a IDE and the new drive is SATA. I plan to have all recordings removed before I upgrade, so /myth/tv should be empty.

Post subject: Re: no luck..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm 
greywire wrote:
Can you show me how I might use the rsync command to do this (I can handle the partitioning part)?

Actually search for recent posts by me that mention rsync. I just wrote up the instructions for someone else...