View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am 
I am trying to get either lm_sensors or mbmon to work with my new MSI PSNG mobo and the intel E8400 CPU. mbmon tells me "No Hardware Monitor found!!"; sensors tells me
Code:
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.

I ran sensors-detect and it wants to load the following two modules:
Code:
f71882fg
coretemp

Unfortunately, f71882fg.ko cannot be found. I've done some searching on that puppy, downloaded the source, compiled it, copied it to the same directory that coretemp.ko is in, but when I try to "modprobe f71882fg" I get "FATAL: Module f71882fg not found."

Any help in getting this to work would be appreciated.

marc

Last edited by marc.aronson on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 pm 
Problem solved -- I followed the instructions here. As a convenience, I have copied the post here.

Marc

First, I downloaded the latest version of lm-sensors here
Next, I removed the current version of lm-sensors and installed packages needed. sensors-applet and hddtemp are optional. The former gives you a nifty sensor readout that you can add to any GNOME Panel. The latter is used to monitor disk temps and also works with sensors-applet to give you a readout on your HD temp alongside the other sensors.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove lm-sensors
sudo apt-get install curl libsensors3 libsensors-dev libsysfs2 libsysfs-dev bison flex make build-essential hddtemp sensors-applet

Extract the lm-sensors folder to your home dir. Now open up the folder and gedit Makefile. On line 42, remove the /local from the end of the line. Now you can:

Code:
make
sudo make install

Now, get the f71882 files and build it:

Code:
cd /usr/src; sudo mkdir fintek-devel; cd fintek-devel
curl http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20070624/4fef1169/attachment-0003.obj > fintek71882.c
curl http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20070624/4fef1169/attachment-0004.obj > sensors.conf
curl http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/attachments/20070624/4fef1169/attachment-0005.obj > Makefile
make

Now, we have the kernel module, so let's move it to the proper place:

Code:
sudo mv fintek71882.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/hwmon/f71882fg.ko

We also need to make sure it loads at boot. My solution to this problem was to put the following line in the /etc/init.d/lm-sensors script, right after the initial comments (line 11):

Code:
insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/hwmon/f71882fg.ko