View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Reinstall problems
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:54 pm 
I am a newb at installing this, but after searching the forum, I can not find an easy way to modify the network gateway. So , I figured I would just reinstall and when prompted, put in the correct network addresses. But...I can't seem to do a reinstall...

Every time I reboot the computer, the CD Drive opens up...and I can not get the computer to reboot from CD. I have changed the BIOS settings to only boot from CD...but it appears that the Linux install has taken over control of the Dell computer...and refuses to boot from CD. It continues to just boot up from the hard drive.

any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Is it a valid CD? (i.e have you used it before successfully) I've seen a lot of people burn an ISO image to a CD as data rather than a bootable image. Even IT guys who know better occasionally chose the wrong menu option...

As for modifying the networking config, running "netcardconfig --force" is probably the easiest. See: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=RedoingNetworkSetup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm 
Yes. It is a good CD. Thanks for the link to the network card reconfiguration. That allowed me to make my changes I was trying to make and avoid a reinstall.

I suspect my CD ROM is screwed up....I put on another hard drive that I know is formatted, and I was getting the same screwy CDROM tray opening and closing on reboot/bootup.

I made the changes to my NIC card, so I will see if that corrects my issues of access the Internet.

thanks