View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Downgrade R6 to R5.5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:36 pm 
I haven't tried it yet and I thought I would ask here before I really get things messed up. Is it possible to downgrade R6 to R5.5 using a backup created in R6? I have been using R6 now for about 2 months or and I am regretting my upgrade. Is their any going back or are too many of the paths different now? I am a little bit hung up on trying to get things working in Arch and would rather go back to R5.5. I am just WAY more comfortable working in a Debian based distro than Arch. I must be getting old or something because I am feeling a little too set in my ways to make the switch now. (Said while shaking my rake in frustration at you)

Hauppage PVR 500 MCE
Soundblaster Live
ATI Remote Wonder II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:41 pm 
I don't think you can go back, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would say just tough it out; the future of LinHES is Arch, you're going to have to learn it at some point :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:21 pm 
graysky is correct. You can not restore a R5.5 setup from a R6 backup.

These upgrades are the point of no return, unless you have an older R5.5 backup to get to. Remember that KM's backups keep previous backups, and just add numbers to the versions. Check your backup directory and see if there's an older version that you remember creating with R5.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:25 pm 
You might be in luck, unless you deleted the backup you used to do the R6 upgrade, a copy should still exist in you backups directory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 am 
tscholl wrote:
You might be in luck, unless you deleted the backup you used to do the R6 upgrade, a copy should still exist in you backups directory.

I did exactly this. In R5.5 did a backup.

Did the R6 install. Things didn't go well :(

Re-installed R5.5
Restored the backup.
Back to where i was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 am 
I'd be interested in knowing exactly what it was that you found lacking in R6. The first step to fixing it is posting about your issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:34 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing exactly what it was that you found lacking in R6. The first step to fixing it is posting about your issues.

I did :)

I added to this thread that I had hit the same issues -- boot wasn't able to get thru all the startup scripts. Poking around in the LinHes sound config broke something.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

This was with the first initial preview. I've been waiting a bit longer until I try again (been monitoring flyspray and think the MCE remote issues would have bitten me too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 am 
larrybpsu wrote:
graysky is correct. You can not restore a R5.5 setup from a R6 backup.

Sorry to resume an old thread.

In downgrading from R6 to R5.5 can the mythrestore script restore the database? I know it won't probably restore home directories and/or system files, but that can be managed manually even by me. It's the database I'm concerned about.

Just in case someone is interested, I was considering downgrading my backend only (frontends are happily running R6) because in the last years my backend got transformed into a hybrid htpc/network server (samba, torrent, e2k, etc) and I got somewhat used to using debian.

While I appreciate the new R6 (I use it in my frontends), I'm not very good at customizing it for my need; in particular I haven't managed to install amule (I see that most other customizations I need have been explained in the forum or the wiki).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:25 pm 
benotto wrote:
In downgrading from R6 to R5.5 can the mythrestore script restore the database?

No. Memory says that there are DB schema changes. Someone with loads of time on their hands and mighty MySQL-fu and Unix scripting-fu could probably edit the dump back to something compatible, but other than that, no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 am 
In the past it has been a no-no to run later version FE's with older version BE's. The FE's somehow cause the BE to upgrade the DB and boom! If you assume this will happen and make a backup of the 5gig(minus) root partition (clonezilla device->image) then you can get back to square one in 20 minutes.

At least that is what I understood from users using Ubuntu FE's with a KM BE a couple years ago or so.

A Clonezilla backup of just the 5 gig root partition (and boot sector / hidden data / partition table) is a good way to recover from botched UPGRADES (where the data partition does not get changed). Don't do a fresh install though as that will wipe out your data on the big partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am 
Site Admin
There should be no issue is going back to R5.5 from LinHES 6.01.00. 6.02.00 however has MythTV 0.22 since there is a schema change in 0.22, that would prove more difficult.