View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:55 pm 
I have some Xperinet servers and clients and they are not supported anymore and I want to install Knopp on them but all I want is DVD rip and play and CD rip and play. The servers are Raid machines with around 3TB of storage. I have sucessfully installed 5.5 to the server as a backend and frontend, but ripping dvd's to the machine doesnt work. It starts and then stops ???

Can I just install the dvd rip and play part.

Also, the clients just have a 80g harddrive and are easy to setup. They also have a dvd player that I want to use to burn to the main server.

Is any of this possible ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:03 pm 
There's a tropical fruit that may be of interest to you while you work on your system. A search for posts containing 'pineapple' will probably get you started in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:28 am 
Once you get your pineapple, we can talk about the clients.

It sounds like you're going to be primarily using MythVideo. I love MythVideo, but IMO it is poorly designed for distributed use. It CAN be made to work very well, especially if all the clients are linux based. The problem is that all clients share the same database, (which is good) but the server does not serve the video as it does for recordings. Clients have to be able to find the video in the "right" place via some sort of mount point (NFS or Windows shares) so Every client needs to find the videos directory using the same path.

So, First, you need to look through the posts and wiki for NFS How-to's you need your server to export the video's directory, (/myth/video by default.) you need to make sure ALL clients use the same userid for the mythtv account, or look to advanced NFS Setup for "all_squash" on the export. Others will say I'm doing it wrong, but my /etc/export has:
Code:
/myth/video         *(rw,insecure,all_squash,anonuid=100,anongid=102,no_subtree_check)

If all your clients are KM-based then the UID issue is a non-issue. KM always uses the same UIDs.

On the clients, make sure they ALL mount the server's video directory to the same mount point. (stick with /myth/video for consistency.) I prefer auto mount for this but static mounts work too. Again, search is your friend.

Go through the same process to share the "cover art" directory. I forget the default, because I moved mine to /myth/video_coverart.

From there, All clients have the same MythVideo database and directory structure. MythVideo should work pretty transparently for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am 
The reason we can't discuss ripping DVDs openly is because of the DMCA -- the digital millennium copyright act. It illegalized free speech in America and drove discussions of Linux and DVDs to the shores of other countries where people can still say what they want without fear of the government.

Unfortunately, this forum is based in the USA so we must muzzle any talk of MythVideo and how you enable it on KnoppMyth. It's just the price we pay to live in the "land of the free and home of the brave."