View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:37 pm 
ecumaniac wrote:
Upon scanning, all of our usual OTA channels were identified as "probable" or something similar. However, when I go and try to "watch live TV" there is no video or audio, just a black screen with the channel information bar at the bottom. I need to find and run some diagnostics to figure out what is going on.

I also have an unrelated question about the listings subscription. LinHES will operate without it, correct? We have a very small selection of channels and the things we are interested in recording are predictable enough for us to set everything manually.

Not sure why it's not tuning, but you could run the setup from a terminal or just check the log (/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log) for when you performed the scan etc. It should give you a clue as to what's going wrong. I think you may have burned out the tuner chip (not the decoder) when it was poorly seated.

Listings are invaluable to me. I use the over the air listings as my TV guide and not having it would be very inconvenient. It would also be difficult to record something when you're halfway through it. E.g. You're channel surfing and come across something really interesting. Now you remember the time and you have to go (out|to bed|do something). With an EPG you just hit record and it will safely get the remainder of the show for you. Without it, you have to just let it run until you remember to turn it off. Even then, you'll have to sift through loads of "UNKNOWN"s in your recorded programs. Not sure if the U.S. has OTA listings, but in Australia they're very handy. That said, some channels don't really know what they're doing and will re-title the last episode of something by appending the word " - FINAL" (curse you, channel 7!).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 am 
Hey Mike,

About a week ago (before going on vacation and forgetting exactly what I did) I tweaked some tuning delay parameter. I turned it on this morning and, voila! Picture looks great on every channel I've tested. No sound, however, so there's still some detective work left to do. I thought I'd let you know that the chip wasn't burned out after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm 
ecumaniac wrote:
Hey Mike,

About a week ago (before going on vacation and forgetting exactly what I did) I tweaked some tuning delay parameter. I turned it on this morning and, voila! Picture looks great on every channel I've tested. No sound, however, so there's still some detective work left to do. I thought I'd let you know that the chip wasn't burned out after all.

Great news :-)

If you did the change on a terminal you could run "history" to get a list of commands you ran. If you did it as root, log in as root then run it.
With the sound, here is what you may want to try:
1. cat /proc/asound/devices. This will give you the most likely device name, so you can set it in your setup. E.g. if it lists 3.3 as your preferred sound card, make sure it says "alsa (3,3)" or whatever (working from memory here).
2. Run alsamixer. Make sure it's on the correct device, and if it isn't, press the appropriate key (I think it's F6). If master, pcm, front (or anything you might think is going to your speakers) says "MM", press m on your keyboard to un-mute it and raise the volume if it is an option. Q to quit from alsamixer and save this as root, using "alsactl store"

If you use mplayer, you'll also have to modify the /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf, setting the output device to the one you want. If you can't get the format of the file, Google for it: There's a lot of support for mplayer (and it's a great media player).

If your sound is built-in and LinHES is having trouble recognising it, I would disable it in the CMOS (setup) and go get a cheap surround card that is known to be supported. For the sake of $25, you'd be saving a lot of time.

Have (more) fun!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:58 am 
Thanks again! This will give me something to work on today. As an aside, there is a white port on the anterior end of the pcHDTV card. No cable came with the card, and I didn't count the pins, but it is relatively flat and doesn't stand off the end of the card by much. My best guess is that it would have been used to send decoded video to a standalone video card, but since I'm using the built-in video on my mobo I don't need to worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:10 am 
After tinkering with alsamixer for a while, I found that when I go to the card that corresponds to my HDMI out (to TV) the mixer level is MM, so I unmute it, but then it is stuck at 00 and I cannot increase the volume at all. I've tried to go directly to the HDMI audio playback (2,3) device (10) that is listed in /proc/asound/devices, but I get an error:
> alsamixer -c 2 -D 10
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL 10
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for 10: No such file or directory

When I try to make changes within the GUI, LinHES audio menu, I select ALSA for my drivers (I tried OSS once and it was unhappy) and the only way I can see my devices is to select Analog (although I would have expected digital for HDMI, but this is all new to me) since Digital gives me no devices to use. When I click the "test audio" button I get a quick status bar popup that disappears instantly, with no sound output.

Post subject: thread closed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 am 
Since this thread has outlived its usefulness, I continue my saga to get HDMI audio working in R6 here:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Go to page Previous  1, 2