View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: signal out of range
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:11 pm 
trying to install linhes 6 get through the splash screen but then goes to signal out of range

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 am 
I think I'm getting the same problem. But no solution yet. :(

Booting from LiveCD to LinHES 6.03.00, I can get as far as the Bash prompt for about 1 second before my display complains that the signal frequency has gone out of range. From then, I can't switch back to the console, even using keyboard shortcuts. No errors on bootup otherwise. :idea: Ah, I know what you're thinking, but...

I've tried booting with the option "Boot to console without X Windowing" and get the message "Finished ... No Auto X option found". Then I get the problem as before. Unfortunately I don't have access to another machine with SSH client right now, but the system does seem to be responding to the soft-off power key (system beeps and something is read from the CD). :?

Question: why should the graphics display mode change after the boot has completed, considering that X is not running?

The system is currently booting off hard disk to Mythbuntu 9.04 and continues to run with no problems (I'm posting this from the same system). Config is as follows:

Gigabyte 7IXE4F7 mobo (AMD 751 / 756 chipset)
AMD Duron 800
768Mb RAM
160Gb IDE HDD
IDE DVD-ROM
SiS 300 graphics
Asus MyCinema U3100 Mini (USB DVB-T)
Generic RALink RT2501 USB wireless LAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 am 
totally shooting from the hip but try passing "nomodeset" to the kernel.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 am 
OK, I've tried a few things. Here's what works (and what doesn't):

I tried nomodeset - no change. In fact, it always causes a fail no matter what other parameters are used. (but thanks Martian - it was a good idea)

I've managed to boot to a bash prompt :D by holding down left shift during boot, and entering either:

Code:
vmlinuz initrd=larch.img xmodule=vesa

or (also works):

Code:
vmlinuz initrd=larch.img screen=800x600 vsync=60 noagp vga=normal

I can get a text mode display this way, and can run text mode apps (like vi). I've no idea why the x options should make a difference to text mode display, but they do. I suspect something is looking at the X settings and using them to change the display in text mode (for a higher refresh rate?).

The other puzzling thing is that there's no sign of X being automatically loaded (or failing to load), even though I haven't used any parameters to stop it. If I don't use any boot options at all, then it tries to load. :?

Starting X manually doesn't work - I get the "signal out of range" error just as if I'd booted with no options. I've tried using the default xorg.conf settings, I've tried creating a new xorg.conf with vesa drivers, and I've tried running xorgconfig to use the vesa driver automagically. Same thing.

As mentioned above, my config works perfectly in Mythbuntu 9.04, so there must be a setting somewhere... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm 
Not sure of the specific problem but I had something similar in an older 6.x release. I couldn't find the problem so I used an old Sony CRT monitor (much broader signal range available - most CRT displays are capable of handling a wider range than flat screen monitors). I then replace the installed X conf with an older vresion that worked.

Never did figure it out (I am with you - some switch somewhere) but this allowed me to complete the install and then cleaned it up later... Havent had the problem again (have upgraded at least twice since then with no issues).