View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:43 am 
Hi,

I will be setting up a PVR within the next few days (just waiting for my PVR-350) and I was just wondering if there is a way to populate the EPG without a network connection.

I have a high speed internet connection and I have several networked PCs in my home. However, the TV is in the basement and the main computers with internet connection are in the 2nd floor. I know that wired is more reliable and more consistent than wireless so I want to put an ethernet wire all the way to the basement... but I'm having second thoughts... I'm also investigating the 802.11g angle...

Eventually, I will network this PVR PC one way or the other. BUT while it is not yet networked, is there a way for me to populate the EPG maybe from a file that is generated from any of my networked PCs? I was hoping that maybe, I can generate a file that somehow represents the raw EPG data from a networked PC, copy the file to a removable media (CD, USB drive, etc), then copy it to the PVR PC... and finally populate the EPG tables(?) from this file. Is this something that makes sense?

Please advise.

TIA.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:46 am 
Yes it is possible. I have not done so. I believe details are in the MythTV docs.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:23 pm 
Thanks, Cesman.

Off to the docs I go... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:57 pm 
Totally possible. You would run the grabber script on a networked machine (for me, it's a simple Perl script, so the machine can even be running Windows), have it output an xmltv file, which you then bring over to the Myth box and import it using "mythfilldatabase --file <options>".

It's probably going to be a pain, though. I would look into putting a 802.11 card in there (several posts on how to do this). If you are intending to transfer files at some point (burn DVDs, etc), go straight for Ethernet 100BaseT (trust me, I have tried using only 802.11b)... You will need the full bandwidth to transfer the huge files.