View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Systems hangs on reboot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:32 pm 
I have a P4 1.8 GHz, Intel MB, PVR 350, Radeon Graphics card 60 GB hda and 40 gb hdb. I install R4V5, with the autoinstall. the first little issue is that it doesn't accept my changes for the time zone to Eastern Time (US), it always goes back to Pacific time. I continue with the install and have it auto partition for me. Formats, partitions, installs, no problems. Tells me it's done and then wants to reboot. I remove the CD, and reboot. LILO comes up goes throught the first 15 lines of initializing and hangs on the fda line. just stops. nothing more. so i disconnet the floppy (who uses it anyway), same hang up point. I reinstall without the floppy connected. same problem. I have the Debian Sarge Netinstall disk laying around and decide to install that to see if it's my drive. The debian install goes through without a hitch. Tried the new Suse 9 personal install disk. Again, no problems installing. I really wanted to get knoppmyth installed since it's streamlined for doing the one job i need this system to do. HTPC. I've searched for this error, and have not found any help.

please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:42 pm 
Just a thought....
Did you try to disable the floppy in the bios?

Samsung 160 GB
Hauppauge PVR-250
Knoppmyth R4V4.1

SBE:
TBA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:05 pm 
yes. it's very strange.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:19 pm 
treetopflyer wrote:
the first little issue is that it doesn't accept my changes for the time zone to Eastern Time (US), it always goes back to Pacific time.

Yeah, that's a known issue. A search of the forum will turn up some steps to deal with this. Look for a walk through I posted back around late spring or early summer when R4V4 came out.

As for the rest, have you got a USB keyboard? There is another known issue associated with that...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 am 
( ::MythTV n00b:: )

I am in the same camp, although I don't even get this far. I have tried the auto install, upgrade after a failed auto install, and manual install, all with the same result.

The system restarts after installation (CD removed) and hangs right after all BIOS detection is done and first (only) bootable device tries to boot. The hard drive that KnoppMyth partitioned, formatted, and installed to will not even show the first hints of booting.

Celeron 1700 with 512MB RAM, on-board SiS 650 video. No real MythTV hardware to speak of, just want to peruse the system. Anyway, I get nowhere near the hardware detection phase of startup.

Frontend boots fine from the CD, but can't connect to the server, since I have none. Apparently I can't prepare one either, or I wouldn't be posting.

As a last resort in manual install, I changed the LILO location from MBR to partition. No change in results.

Anyone recognize the problem here?

JB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:35 am 
Wow, this is a tough problem.

What I would do (at least this works on other systems) is to start turning off hardware detection by passing kernel parameters on boot up.

There are a couple of ways to do that.

The easiest but I don't know if it will work on KnoppMyth is to when the system boots press tab to get lilo to give you the boot menu.

then pass in parameters one at a time to the kernel per boot until you figure out what the hang up is.

Can you tell us the exact line the kernel is hanging on?

The other way I'd recommend is to get a copy of Knoppix 3.7 and use it as a diagnostic tool. Boot the computer with Knoppix and edit the target's /etc/lilo.conf to change the boot parameters and rerun lilo.

Maybe you could take a picture of the hanging boot and post it on the web so we could see what you are talking about better? Or just copy it down with a pencil & paper.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:42 am 
jbogari wrote:

I am in the same camp, although I don't even get this far. I have tried the auto install, upgrade after a failed auto install, and manual install, all with the same result.

The system restarts after installation (CD removed) and hangs right after all BIOS detection is done and first (only) bootable device tries to boot. The hard drive that KnoppMyth partitioned, formatted, and installed to will not even show the first hints of booting.

Celeron 1700 with 512MB RAM, on-board SiS 650 video. No real MythTV hardware to speak of, just want to peruse the system. Anyway, I get nowhere near the hardware detection phase of startup.

Frontend boots fine from the CD, but can't connect to the server, since I have none. Apparently I can't prepare one either, or I wouldn't be posting.

As a last resort in manual install, I changed the LILO location from MBR to partition. No change in results.

Anyone recognize the problem here?

JB

Sorry, my previous message was intended for you JB.

You can find the kernel boot parameters by booting the KnoppMyth CD and pressing F2. That is only a small subset of parameters though and what step is hanging is essential to determining which parameter will help.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:31 am 
lynchaj wrote:
Sorry, my previous message was intended for you JB.

You can find the kernel boot parameters by booting the KnoppMyth CD and pressing F2. That is only a small subset of parameters though and what step is hanging is essential to determining which parameter will help.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Andrew,

Well, the only thing I can offer is that when I boot from the CD, no matter which method, after the boot image is extracted and the penguin logo first appears, the very first message is:

"ide late registration of driver"

Seems significant, but it always boots - from CD.

I do not get past the BIOS screen when booting from an installed HD. With an Award BIOS, the last thing shown is the list of PCI devices, then the search for boot devices begins. It stops here and does not boot.

It's not locked up; the keyboard lock lights still toggle. But no-go. No error messages at all.

Is this an IDE adpater issue or maybe mobo firmware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:35 am 
Dude,
This may get drawn out and in depth. Please move this thread to someplace else as "installation" is a reserved area, even though may this is probably fair game its better to move when you can.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:37 am 
Meaning, probably move to hardware forum. Please describe your present configuration with as much detail as you know.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:12 pm 
jbogari wrote:

JB
This is a hardware issue. Perhaps you need to set BIOS to boot from hard drive. Have you tested your memory? Is PnP OS disabled? If it not getting to the hard drive to boot, sorry I cannot say it is an issue with the installation. You need to ensure LILO is on the MBR.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:47 pm 
Thanks Cesman,

I was planning to walk him through the steps once JB moved to a new (hardware) forum and started a thread there.

Cesman is definitely right. Check/do all those things first.

lilo has to be on the MBR of the boot device to work its boot magic. Do you see on the screen any of:

L
LI
LIL
LILO

? That would indicate lilo is starting to boot but breaking down.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PS, press tab during boot to get the lilo boot menu to determine if anything is working and so we can start passing kernel parameters.

http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/ has a great install section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 pm 
OK, step one. Provide hardware details and I mean DETAILED details. Even more than my signature block. We'll want model and revision of your motherboard, BIOS, and your HD at the very least.

Step two, go into your BIOS setup, turn OFF the eyecandy boot splash screens and turn ON all the self test and diagnostic messages.

I'm guessing one of them will say something like "no bootable device found" when you try to boot from the HD.

- Check that your HD is marked bootable in the BIOS.

- Check that the /dev/hda1 partitiion is marked bootable with fdisk or the like.

- Check that you haven't done anything silly like password protecting the drive.

- Make sure that your HD is the primary master device - AKA "/dev/hda1"

- Check how you have the HD jumpered. If it's a WD Caviar particularly on a NForce2 mobo it won't play nice if it's not set for CS (cable select). Other chipsets or brands may require different jumperings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:41 pm 
I have the same problem.

Abit AT7
512 Corsar RAM
USB keyboard
60 GIG Western Digital
120 GIG IBM IC35L120
Athlon 2100
DVD NEC-2100A

I have also tryed disabling the Floppy, but then it occurs to me that the floppy loads, it is whatever that tries to load after that it is hanging on.

The last line that loads is
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

Then the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs ont he keyboard flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:02 pm 
honestly at this point if you have troublesome hardware with these kind of problems it's probably worth waiting on the prerelease version of R5 which should solve most if not all these silly nagging bliky keyboard lights problems.

Xsecrets

Go to page 1, 2  Next