View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:45 am 
Hello

Can anyone make a detailed guide based on this post?

scottf outlines a grub install

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:23 am 
Stop already, we got the message, you're having problems with lilo and want to know how to install grub. Posting a half dozen seperate messages in as many threads is not likely to get you an answer any faster.

1) Relax a bit, and give it 24 hours for all the regulars to cycle through their online hours. That may not be long enough since a lot of people are only active on weekends.

2) What you're asking for is uncommon enough that you're already trying to contact a very small pool of people, some of who may not have ben active in months.

3) Are you even sure that you need to install grub instead of resolving the lilo issue? Have you searched the forum and the wiki for SATA how to's? You may very well find one that discusses this issue.

4) Is there anything you haven't tried in the Install directions from the wiki? http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=KnoppMythInstall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:49 am 
tjc wrote:
Stop already, we got the message, you're having problems with lilo and want to know how to install grub. Posting a half dozen seperate messages in as many threads is not likely to get you an answer any faster.

I see it's not only people from the north of norway that have a gift for exaggeration. :)

tjc wrote:
2) What you're asking for is uncommon enough that you're already trying to contact a very small pool of people, some of who may not have ben active in months.

Google the term, you'll get LOTs of hits, no solutions though...
Search this forum, and you'll get 14 hits, wich is quite a lot.

tjc wrote:
3) Are you even sure that you need to install grub instead of resolving the lilo issue? Have you searched the forum and the wiki for SATA how to's? You may very well find one that discusses this issue.

No, I'm not 100% sure; But I've tried all different solutions I've found here and on google.

tjc wrote:
4) Is there anything you haven't tried in the Install directions from the wiki? http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=KnoppMythInstall

Yes. I've read a lot of this wiki, I've read a lot on this forum prior to buying the hardware. I've searched the wiki for the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:30 pm 
Okay

I work fast, what can I tell you ;) Ive spent $800 on hardware and is anxious to get it up and kicking :)

Here is my install guide to grub:

Prerequisites:
  • Internet connected ;)
  • Get a menu.lst, there are good ones at grub-images
  • Get a splash image that you like, there are good ones at the site mentioned above

1a. Manual or Auto install Knoppmythl, or have an existing install

2a. Boot from the Knoppmyth install cd
2b. enter "knoppmyth ide=reverse" if you have SATA like me, and get problems with vanilla autoinstall

3. Use option 6, exit to console

4. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

5. cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf

6. chroot /mnt /bin/bash

7. source /etc/profile

8. apt-get update

9a. apt-get install grub
9b. grub-install hda (this is most likely going to fail, but no worries)

10. cp /lib/grub/i386-pc/* /boot/grub

11. get a .lst file from grub-images (I use the dual boot version)

12. mkdir /boot/grub/images

13. get an image from the grub images site, or make one your self. put it in /boot/grub/images, remember it's name

14. copy the .lst file to /boot/grub, name it menu.lst

15a. edit the menu.lst, make sure that splashimage is correct
15b. make sure that kernel is correct, look at append in /etc/lilo.conf if in doubt, also add ide=reverse if you're using SATA
15c. add initrd /boot/initrd.gz to the menu.lst file

16. in console, enter "grub", the grub console loads, don't mind any errors in the list dump

17a. in grub: root (hd0,0)
17b. in grub: setup (hd0)
17c. in grub: quit

You should now be ready to test out grub...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:02 pm 
Quote:
I see it's not only people from the north of norway that have a gift for exaggeration.

I've heard that at this time of year Norwegians use the same method they do in Michigan and Minnesota here in the US to see whose telling the biggest whopper. Both parties go outside, tell their story (which promptly freezes solid), then they weigh them and take the frozen words back inside to thaw out so they can actually hear what was said. ;-) At least that's what I was told by someone I know from the upper pennisula of Michigan who claimed his grandpa told him that was how they did it in the old country. ;-)

OK, enough shaggy dog humor for one day...