View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:25 am 
Good morning... well at least its Saturday! First off I just want to say I've been using Knopmyth for about three weeks now and I love it! It didn't work at initial install but searching the forums helped me ro have a running system.

Unfortunitly I've spent the past week off-and-on searching for a particular problem and haven't been able to find an answer that has helped. I'm new to posting (first post), and not 100% certain if I'm posting to the correct group... I hope so, but if I should post my question/issue in another category please let me know.

Okay so here's my problem. What I would like to do is up/side-grade my mythtv from "mythtv-i686-lirc" to "mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc". Every time I try to install the lirc-xvmc package it errors out. I have executed both install-nvidia.sh and install-nvidia-6111-debian.sh first for the driver support, both installed without errors. I was able to change my XFConfig-4 and start up X just fine. Then I tried running (as root) install-i686-lx and I get this error from the Console (I copy/pasted this, if the board wants ALL of the output I can do that... I'm just not sure what everyone needs):
*SNIP*
(Reading database ... 53007 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc (from mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc_0.16-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc_0.16-1_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/mythbackend', which is also in package mythtv-i686-lirc
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc_0.16-1_i386.deb
Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend.

At this point I can start up mythfrontend and everything still works no harm no foul from what I can see. From another post on this forum (sorry I don't have a link to this reference) I saw some one else get this same console error; it was suggested to them to run install-i586-lx and see if that works. I assume this was suggested because of the different proc/packaging? ... Well I tried this, figuring maybe I could install with i586 and then be able to run i686 to install back on. This produces the same error on the console.
I've also read the instructions at.... dang, lost that link to.... it was to insert "deb http://knoppmyth.geekweb.net/updates ./" to /etc/apt/sources.list then run:

apt-get install mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc mythweather-i686 mythweb mythnews mythvideo-i686 mythdvd-i686 mythmusic-i686 mythgame-i686 mythgallery-i686

This was described as upgrading your myth, but executing this command errored on the console with this error:
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/mythtv-i686-lirc-xvmc_0.16-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I'm a linux newbie! I've been trying to find the answers in the forums and up till this problem I've been able to find answers. I'm hoping some one else has seen this error and can help me resolve my conflicts.

Now, in case any one wants to know WHY I want to make this change from myth-i686-l to i686-lx its simple, CPU load. The hardware for my myth box are:
Dual P3 933 (running runing single proc kernel :( {I don't know enough about the system to tackle recompling everything ... I'm a newb})
Abit VP-6 MB; 1GB of PC133 memory
One 30GB ATA100 (/hda) for system/cache/myth ... (just used auto script at install for partitions)
Four 120GB ATA100 drives (/hd[efgh]) setup with software raid to /dev/md0 and mounted at /myth/tv :-)
Haugepaug PVR-350 w/ grey remote (I'm currently running TV through my Haugepaug card, which is going to make DVDs/DIVX more difficult if not impossible to view from what I've read. But I'll burn that bridge when I get there)
nVidia Geforce 4 MX4000
R4V5 KnoppixMyth

Now granted when watching TV my CPU load is only around 0.5 but when in the Episode selection screen in the Myth GUI it will jump to around 3.0+- load (getting this from top and uptime commands). I would like to get XvMC to function. My last install attempt I selected both Lirc XvMC and I got them to function; it was great! With XvMC my box would hardly be any higher then 0.6-1.5 load (not transcoding yet, but not worried about that either atm) but would usally be around 0.15-0.30. Unfortunitly I swapped out my CDR-rom for a DVD-r, which caused all sorts of problems and made me decide to just format and reinstall; so that's what I have done, although this time I didn't select XvMC at install. *doh*

Ultamatly I would like to get dual core kernel running and recomple myth but that's light years ahead of my comfort level at the moment. :( And I've read people say it can be buggy, so XvMC seems like a good middle step atm. I would also like to stay away from the "format reinstall" solution this time, since I haven't read the howto on restoring my backup . :)

I haven't included any config files or log files because I don't know what the forum would need to help me trouble shoot this problem. What ever logs you need just let me know.

The board's pataince and help is much apprecated! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Code:
dpkg -r mythtv-i686-lirc

Then try it again (install-i686-lx). The XvMC debs were compiled against an earlier version of the nVidia drivers not 6111. So it you have issue w/ XvMC, install-nvidia.sh... There is aready a kernel deb for SMP systems (this info is on the forum and the changelog). R4V5 containds 0.16 so there is no need to updated via the online debs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:43 pm 
First, thanks for replying back so quick, I wasn't sure when I might be getting a response back to my question. 8) Second, I can't believe how painless that was OMG... I almost feel silly for asking the question now. Sure enough it worked and I can already see the results.

Thanks for the info about SMP, I'll have to go back and read up on that.

Thanks again! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:19 pm 
Site Admin
You're welcome.