View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:21 am 
Hi,

I've installed Knoppmyth R5C7 many times in the last week, without getting everything working, and I really need some help because I don't know how to configure X

I am using the onboard NVidia graphics card on my Shuttle XPC, connected to a CRT TV. It does TV-out on the SVideo port fine for text mode, but when Knoppmyth starts Xwindows, I get a big black screen on the TV (the monitor is fine). I have both the TV and monitor plugged in to the PC so i can see what both are doing. I have tried changing the XF86 config file, replacing NTSC-M with PAL-B and trying to change settings, but nothing works.

Reading the forums, I think I have to change the resolution of X down from 1024x768 to 800x600 or just 640x480, but I don't know how to do this. and make it work

Can someone PLEASE post or e-mail or point me to the correct X config file that allows me to use both Svideo out with the regular VGA out ? I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:32 am 
I have sent you a copy of my xf86config-4 file. It is essentially the one that knoppmyth installs for you if you install using the "tv" option. The only changes I make are to select PAL-B TV standard and to add a modeline for 720x576 50 Hz.

Post subject: Thank you SO much
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:20 am 
Thanks for posting the config file. I really appreciate it.

Suddenly my Tuner card is not being detected... so I'm re-installing R5C7 again. After I do that, and then install Firefox, I will replace the default config file with the yours.

I will post my success story - hopefully within an hour.

Regards,

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 am 
I do all of my installs without a monitor connected (only using the svideo). I always select "tv" at the first prompt when you put the knoppmyth cd in. You may find that if you do it this way, the svideo will work automatically.