View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:03 pm 
I use a Motorola DCT-6200 tuner from Comcast to record hidef shows via firewire. I was disappointed when the hidef recordings of the series “24”, which had its season premiere on Sunday, only recorded the first 19 seconds. On investigation I found that a flag in the video transmission called the “CCI” flag was set to 0x02. When CCI=0x02 the Motorola box will not send any bits across the firewire interface unless the device on the other side is known to enforce the rule that no additional copies of the recording can be created. I did not have this problem last season so I called Comcast to see if they had turned this flag on by mistake, but they indicated that this flag is being set by the network (Fox), not by Comcast.

Doing a bit more research, I’ve found that CBS always the CCI=0x02. The saving grace (for me) is that I don’t watch any shows on CBS.

This certainly diminishes the usability of the Motorola DCT-6200 tuner for me. Are others experiencing similar problems?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:22 pm 
From what I understand of the FCC reqs in refrence to encryption. The Stations that are available in OTA HD in your area cable companies cannot (at this time) encrypt. If Comcast is encrypting this channel I would call Comcast again and warn them you will report them to the FCC, if they continue encrypting file a complaint with the FCC. I have seen around the Gossamer lists some good excerpts from the FCC regs about encryption.

The premium channels such as HBO, SHOWTIME, are a different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:37 am 
From what I have been reading, setting CCI=0x02 (copy once) does not create an encrypted signal. What it does is instruct all compliant devices that no additional copies of the recording can be created. It (the dct-6200) will not deliver the data stream to a downstream device that is not CCI compliant. Unfortunately, I don't think they are in violation of any FCC regulations...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:02 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
From what I have been reading, setting CCI=0x02 (copy once) does not create an encrypted signal. What it does is instruct all compliant devices that no additional copies of the recording can be created. It (the dct-6200) will not deliver the data stream to a downstream device that is not CCI compliant. Unfortunately, I don't think they are in violation of any FCC regulations...

Marc

It sounds like a QAM tuner card would be a better option, given the circumstances. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 am 
Quote:
From what I have been reading, setting CCI=0x02 (copy once) does not create an encrypted signal.

Up to you how much effort you want to put into it. You are Comcast's customer, I would tell customer support what their customer wants.

Report them to the FCC, let an FCC investigation with Comcast sort out if that flag violates FCC regs.

Like thornsoft suggested switch to QAM, and return their worthless HD box with their monthly fees.

Google the Comcast CEO, CFO, COO, names and send them emails noting your complaints if customer service doesn't fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:02 am 
spalVl wrote:
You are Comcast's customer, I would tell customer support what their customer wants.

But they seemed to indicate to Marc (they could be lying though) that the flag was put in by Fox. Surely they can't be responsible for passing the flag through, if it's already present?
I would expect that if this is the case, it's not "Fox", but the local affiliate. Our local affiliate puts their "bug" in the screen, so they've got the ability to inject things into the stream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:01 pm 
I have Comcast customer with a DCT-6200. I record CBS HD all the time with that configuration. I'll try out 24 next time it is on to see if I run into that bump. I've got OTA setup also, so I can get around it if they are doing it, but am curious now.

Firewire to Comcast cable box
PVR-250
R6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:15 am 
thornsoft wrote:
spalVl wrote:
You are Comcast's customer, I would tell customer support what their customer wants.

But they seemed to indicate to Marc (they could be lying though) that the flag was put in by Fox. Surely they can't be responsible for passing the flag through, if it's already present?
I would expect that if this is the case, it's not "Fox", but the local affiliate. Our local affiliate puts their "bug" in the screen, so they've got the ability to inject things into the stream.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought this thread might add to the discussion:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82598#82598

Look specifically at my last post (w/ pics of the diagnostic screens of my DCT-6200). The CCI=0x02 flag is gone from NBC-HD but not (yet) from ABC-HD.
My research has led me to believe that my provider (Comcast) has control of this bit in the datastream and can turn it on or off at the headend.

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:36 pm 
I'm late too, but here is the relevant EFF page on this topic:

http://www.eff.org/IP/pnp/filecomplaint.php

From my reading, the cable co. is NOT allowed to put the "one generation copy" flag on a free-to-air program like "24".

Quote:
# No copying restrictions can be put on any unencrypted over-the-air broadcast content carried via cable or satellite, including shows like Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives, and The Office.

There is a link on the EFF page to file a complaint with the FCC.